Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Mcat 496, waiting on recent scores.
GPA 3.6 science 3.45

I've only applied to 3 MD so far and I've chosen 5 DO but just wondering what everyone thinks would be good picks.
Thanks!

edgerock24

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
GPA 3.6 science 3.45

I've only applied to 3 MD so far and I've chosen 5 DO but just wondering what everyone thinks would be good picks.
Thanks!
Right now, you're chances are not good at all with that MCAT score.

As long as you scored 500 or above on your retake you'll have a shot at a number of DO schools. Post back here when you get that score.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Post your list. People will be glad to help you but much rests on your MCAT retake score.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
With that MCAT, none until you do a retake and score much better.

You're in a danger zone for failing out of med school and/or failing boards.

GPA 3.6 science 3.45

Thanks!

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I applied to MD: CMU, MSU, Wright State in Ohio (i'm from michigan)
For DO: MSU-DO, CUCOM, and NYIT, since you don't get a refund for aacomas, I'm going to decide on whether to add Lecom and Burrell then.

Thoughts?

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
With that MCAT, none until you do a retake and score much better.

You're in a danger zone for failing out of med school and/or failing boards.
I don't believe I am in danger of failing anything. I have an upward trend and yes my MCAT is not the best, and yes my GPA isn't the best, but you have to consider how different universities have grading scales.

Last edited:

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
I believe that a lot of DO schools auto-screen below 500... I am also fairly confident that it is an absolutely lethal score for MD.

Hopefully your retake is better!

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Reading comprehension is a very important skill to master for the MCAT and beyond. Go back and re-read my post, which had nothing to do with your current UG academics.

You're auto-reject at my school and at least 7-10 others off hand. Even LUCOM has standards.

I made that post for a reason. There is credible published data that the MCAT is a good predictor of med school success, and your score is in the flaming red danger zone for the risks I pointed out.

But if you still wish to engage in magic thinking, by means, apply and see what happens.

I don't believe I am in danger of failing anything. I have an upward trend and yes my MCAT is not the best, and yes my GPA isn't the best, but you have to consider how different universities have grading scales, and at my university it soley depends on the each professor- so you could get the same grade as your friend in the same class, but because of your professor you can get a significantly lower gpa- this is in the process of changing.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I don't believe I am in danger of failing anything. I have an upward trend and yes my MCAT is not the best, and yes my GPA isn't the best, but you have to consider how different universities have grading scales, and at my university it soley depends on the each professor- so you could get the same grade as your friend in the same class, but because of your professor you can get a significantly lower gpa- this is in the process of changing.
I see why you bombed the MCAT, your reading comprehension is poor. Your MCAT score, which is a universal test taken by all applicants regardless of undergrad, stinks and puts you in the zone for failing med school and boards. You need to fix that before you should attempt applying. And any MD app is a donation.

Reactions: FCMike11 and Goro

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
ummm Did you know @Goro is on faculty and a member of his school's ADCOM? He kind of sort of knows what he's talking about. Just saying. . .

And you have applied to schools with a 496? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: Goro
OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Post your list. People will be glad to help you but much rests on your MCAT retake score.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I'm from michigan.
MD- MSU, Wright state, and central. I got an interview at a different michigan med school last cycle, but I'm holding off on it until I see my score before I apply there again.
DO- NYIT, MSU-DO, CUCOM. (want to add BCOM and LECOM)

also I don't know which campuses to apply to that have multiple. I hear the branches accept lower stats?

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
ummm Did you know @Goro is on faculty and a member of his school's ADCOM? He kind of sort of knows what he's talking about. Just saying. . .

And you have applied to schools with a 496? Really?

Yes and I got an interview.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Yes and I got an interview.
At a state school that most likely interviews most in state applicants. The winning question is, did you get an acceptance? And the answer to that is no.

Reactions: candbgirl
OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
At a state school that most likely interviews most in state applicants. The winning question is, did you get an acceptance? And the answer to that is no.
It was a private institution that accepts and interviews more from California- so you're wrong on that point. Doesn't matter if I didn't get in, it's called experience.

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
Did you really get an interview though?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Reactions: chemguy79

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
Basically what I'm gathering from this thread is that: You are seeking help in putting together a list of schools to apply to. Meanwhile, people on this forum, including an anonymous but respected adcom member at an osteopathic institution, recognized a very important and significant flaw in your application that needs to be addressed in order to fulfill your true potential as an applicant.

I understand your frustration in that many, including myself, have weak areas in their app that they are trying to both overcome and feel more comfortable with, hence why we use this forum to begin with. Sometimes the feedback will seem harsh, but in reality it's just constructive criticism. You should be applying to medical school with the best possible application, even if it means delaying your app another cycle. Even if you have to take the MCAT a third time (it's unfortunate, but if necessary then so be it), you're better off coming up with an effective plan to blow it out of the water so you can prove to admissions committee members that you belong in one of those seats.

Just know that you're not alone, and that everyone above is trying to help you avoid having to apply a third time.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on that new score.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
off the top of my head a 496 puts u in the low tier DO range. I believe it is the equivalent of a 23 on the old test. Very few DO schools would be willing to take that, but there are a couple. West Virgina might look at you, also ACOM. ACOM told me that they had someone apply who took the MCAT 7 times before getting in!

There have been a number of people who have gotten in with a 23, but they also had something special, be it lots of clinical work or URM. If you could break a 500, you could walk into any lower-mid tier DO school. I would retake anything lower than 498.

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you really believe that?

Yes I do. You learn from everything that happens to you in life, whether it was a good or bad experience, you gain information and grow from it.

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Basically what I'm gathering from this thread is that: You are seeking help in putting together a list of schools to apply to. Meanwhile, people on this forum, including an anonymous but respected adcom member at an osteopathic institution, recognized a very important and significant flaw in your application that needs to be addressed in order to fulfill your true potential as an applicant.

I understand your frustration in that many, including myself, have weak areas in their app that they are trying to both overcome and feel more comfortable with, hence why we use this forum to begin with. Sometimes the feedback will seem harsh, but in reality it's just constructive criticism. You should be applying to medical school with the best possible application, even if it means delaying your app another cycle. Even if you have to take the MCAT a third time (it's unfortunate, but if necessary then so be it), you're better off coming up with an effective plan to blow it out of the water so you can prove to admissions committee members that you belong in one of those seats.

Just know that you're not alone, and that everyone above is trying to help you avoid having to apply a third time.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on that new score.
Yes I know it's meant to be constructive, but everything else on my application is amazing, I talked to the school I got an interview at and they told me my interviews went great, but at the end of the day it was the merits that didn't get me the spot- which I knew it would be. If I'm not happy with my score, I plan on withdrawing my application from MD schools for sure. Not too sure about the DO ones tho. Praying I don't have to take the mcat again though.

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you! I'll check out ACOM! I know I just wish we got scores back sooner... pcat and dat they get a range right away so they know what to do with their life lol

off the top of my head a 496 puts u in the low tier DO range. I believe it is the equivalent of a 23 on the old test. Very few DO schools would be willing to take that, but there are a couple. West Virgina might look at you, also ACOM. ACOM told me that they had someone apply who took the MCAT 7 times before getting in!

There have been a number of people who have gotten in with a 23, but they also had something special, be it lots of clinical work or URM. If you could break a 500, you could walk into any lower-mid tier DO school. I would retake anything lower than 498.

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
I just wish we got scores back sooner
The DO cycle is longer, you don't have to have your application in too early especially if your MCAT shows a solid improvement. From my understanding based on adcom replies on this forum, you can apply in September and still be in good shape.

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The DO cycle is longer, you don't have to have your application in too early especially if your MCAT shows a solid improvement. From my understanding based on adcom replies on this forum, you can apply in September and still be in good shape.
yeah plus you don't any money back from aacomas... at least with amcas you get 160 haha. another problem with my application last year is that i picked schools bc i thought i did better . i didn't pick schools based off mcat, just gpa- which i know rookie move but it was too late

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
My score amounted to a 499.. 49th percentile. I knew I screwed up on CARS because I have scored no less than a 126 and up to a 129 on practice exams and the question packs.. -_- I can't believe this is happening. why couldn't they just curve it more, I heard they're getting stricter on the curve and I've found people with my version of the exam and all got a 123 on the cars from the first 3 passages were mind effersss- I ended up getting so frazzeled and messed up my timing. Confidence band is up to a 501. a 51st percentile is a 500 and a 499 is a 47th on the percentile ranking..
499= 25 with percentile ranking and the 501=26.

I just want to say with the scores I was getting on practice exams and how much more information that I learned and practice I did for the exam I projected to get at leastttttt a 504. So needless to say I am disappointed. I already know what everyone is going to say but I would appreciate some helpful picks for schools.

The DO schools I applied to are- Burrell, LECOM-erie, campbell, MSU (instate), NYIT-NY (no pref) but NYIT sent me an email about being able to do the Arkansas one (new campus?) so idk if I should add that one too.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My score amounted to a 499.. 49th percentile. I knew I screwed up on CARS because I have scored no less than a 126 and up to a 129 on practice exams and the question packs.. -_- I can't believe this is happening. why couldn't they just curve it more, I heard they're getting stricter on the curve and I've found people with my version of the exam and all got a 123 on the cars from the first 3 passages were mind effersss- I ended up getting so frazzeled and messed up my timing. Confidence band is up to a 501. a 51st percentile is a 500 and a 499 is a 47th on the percentile ranking..
499= 25 with percentile ranking and the 501=26.

I just want to say with the scores I was getting on practice exams and how much more information that I learned and practice I did for the exam I projected to get at leastttttt a 504. So needless to say I am disappointed. I already know what everyone is going to say but I would appreciate some helpful picks for schools.

The DO schools I applied to are- Burrell, LECOM-erie, campbell, MSU (instate), NYIT-NY (no pref) but NYIT sent me an email about being able to do the Arkansas one (new campus?) so idk if I should add that one too.
I think ur fine as is with a 499. Its so close to the minimum 500, that most schools will look at you.

I wish I had a 499.

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I just added ACOM and ARCOM. So I'm going to be finished all the secondaries I need to do asap. I'm thinking about the multiple campuses so we'll seeee. fingers crossed.

OP
D

Dede77

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I think ur fine as is with a 499. Its so close to the minimum 500, that most schools will look at you.

I wish I had a 499.
Thank you. I just hate that it doesn't have the 5 in front of it -_- praying we get in somewhere!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Add these schools where your have a chance for an interview with your stats:
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
RVU-Utah (new school)
UIWSOM (new school-Texas)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM