Help me pick...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have the credits, what to designate?

• Psychology & Neuroscience (BA/BA)

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Biology & Neuroscience (BA/BA)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Psychology & Biology (BA/BA)

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to choose two majors. I'll be a Senior in the Fall and I've got enough credits between psych, neuroscience and bio that I can basically major in two of any three (I'll be applying after I graduate). This decision won't effect what classes I take, there are a certain amount of "overlapping" courses I am allowed to use, so it's really just a matter of what classes I designate towards a specific major(s).

So, what'll it be? Should I be a little more non-trad or no?

Do the adcomms even care about the major?

Members don't see this ad.

Zoom-Zoom said:
I need to choose two majors. I'll be a Senior in the Fall and I've got enough credits between psych, neuroscience and bio that I can basically major in two of any three (I'll be applying after I graduate). This decision won't effect what classes I take, there are a certain amount of "overlapping" courses I am allowed to use, so it's really just a matter of what classes I designate towards a specific major(s).

So, what'll it be? Should I be a little more non-trad or no?

Do the adcomms even care about the major?
1) Personally, I don't think any one of these majors will make you appear as more of a "non-trad" than another. Plently of applicants each and every year choose these majors.

2) Adcoms certainly care about what you majored in, but only in the sense that it reflects your personal interests and passions.

3) I would recommed that you choose the majors that most accurately reflect your intellectual interests. Congrats on earning a double major and good luck. :luck:

Labslave said:
1) Personally, I don't think any one of these majors will make you appear as more of a "non-trad" than another. Plently of applicants each and every year choose these majors.

2) Adcoms certainly care about what you majored in, but only in the sense that it reflects your personal interests and passions.

3) I would recommed that you choose the majors that most accurately reflect your intellectual interests. Congrats on earning a double major and good luck. :luck:

Yeah that's my problem. I am equally interested in the three. I have actually grown to dislike most of clinical and behavioral psych as I have taken more bio-oriented psych, but I love the neuro twist on behavior.

Also, note that my Bio would be a BA and not a BS. Thanks for the help peeps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming that you are not set on doing any psych related specialties in med school, I would go with the Bio + Neuroscience degrees primarily because it is a great benefit to know the science behind the brain and how it acts. This can be applied to both physical and psychological problems. Also, neuroscience seems like it would be more respected (and less common) than psychology.

Either way, good job on the double major.
-Dr. P.

i'd say take the psych and then which ever of the other two you feel you enjoyed more. i think taking neuro and bio doesn't show the whole "double major" thing as well since they're both more hard sciences. i think if you're trying to make yourself diverse, having one social science and one hard science is your best bet. the neuro might separate you from the crowd a little more, but either is good.

Zoom-Zoom said:
Also, note that my Bio would be a BA and not a BS.
that doesn't really matter. it's just a designation from your school based on what department/college is in charge of biology. most bio majors i know ended up with a BA