emememem

5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am looking into planning a winter vacation for my fiance and myself. We want to go somewhere warm and easy that doesn't require a lot of planning, and that we can swing on a resident budget. Do any fellow residents have good recommendations? We like the idea of something all-inclusiveish so we can turn our brains off but any ideas are appreciated.

Attendings, give me stuff to add to my bucket list for future vacays. I need some daydream fodder for the next couple months.

filhodeinferno

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am looking into planning a winter vacation for my fiance and myself. We want to go somewhere warm and easy that doesn't require a lot of planning, and that we can swing on a resident budget. Do any fellow residents have good recommendations? We like the idea of something all-inclusiveish so we can turn our brains off but any ideas are appreciated.

Attendings, give me stuff to add to my bucket list for future vacays. I need some daydream fodder for the next couple months.
Sounds like you're looking for a cruise. They are relatively cheap, all inclusive, you don't have to worry about food, transportation, or even entertainment.

EKGdoc

2+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2014
Sounds like you're looking for a cruise. They are relatively cheap, all inclusive, you don't have to worry about food, transportation, or even entertainment.
Virgin Islands are great! Close to US, easy flights down. Awesome beaches and snorkeling. Great restaurant on St. Thomas- Room With A View- one of best meals I've ever had and spectacular view.

Petypet

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2009
Ohio
Status
Attending Physician
cheapcarribean dot com

Got 7 days, with flights for all-inclusive to Jamaica 4 star resort, plus excursions for 1000/person.

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Which (roughly) part of the country are you living in now? There might be something local or regional that's easy and cheap and worth doing.

KinesiologyNerd

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2012
Anytown, USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In 2016 the Norwegian Sky out of Miami includes alcohol in the cruise fare.

OP
E

emememem

5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
These are all fantastic! Using my day off to research. I'm in a major city in the midwest with direct flights almost anywhere, but it will be freezing in winter so probably leaning towards somewhere beachy. Appreciate all these fantastic recs.

ERDude

7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Maybe a little more expensive than you're looking but for caribbean beach vacation I think Isla Vieques in Puerto Rico is the absolute best. It's pretty easy to get to (flight to SJ in PR then either ferry or puddle jumper to Vieques) and once you're on the island you can get by pretty cheap (especially if you go the VRBO route). You will need to rent a jeep and that will probably be the biggest cost on the island. The beaches are secluded and amazing. The food is surprisingly good. There are wild horses roaming the island which is kinda cool. Lots of good activities available (bioluminescent bay, snorkling, paddle boarding in the bay). It's also really fun to just explore the island and go to different beaches in the jeep. It's the best beach vacay I've ever had.

Reactions: emememem

ERDude

7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
If you stay at a resort, you can't tell one island from another. We used to shell Vieques with naval gunfire 5" shells.

yeah Vieques has a pretty interesting history. When I was there we drove (got lost) through an overgrown jungle area with a bunch of abandoned WWII Navy bunkers while looking for the abandoned sugar mill....which we never found.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
St. John, USVI. It is a slice of paradise and would definitely be a memorable vacation for you two with some amazing beaches, hiking, and snorkeling. Not to mention charters that will take you to BVI spots like Virgin Gorda, Host Van ****, Tortola, etc.. The primary expense is in lodging. If you rent a condo or a hotel, you'll get gouged. VRBO is your friend. There are tons of places to rent from all the people who own condos and don't use them for 3/4 of the year. Hop on the ferry once you land in St. Thomas, rent your jeep and you're off. I don't think I could ever get sick of the place.

Birdstrike

7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
Status
Learned how to play Margaritaville, by Jimmy Buffett on my kid's Ukelele, today.
Going to the Bahamas for spring break with the fam.
Life is good.

#Vacation

Reactions: Gray Fox