Help Me Please, Tonight!! Ob/gyn Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

imamonkey7

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I received an email saying that I matched into a prelim ob/gyn spot.

Am I allowed to participate in the scramble tomorrow for ob/gyn categorical spots, even if I've matched into prelim spot? If there even are any (I've seen that there are possibly 12 spots, but they could be prelim or categ, right?).

The email I got says "Because you have matched to a first-year position, your access to unfilled program information will be limited to advanced positions."

So, I don't get it, why would I be able to apply to advanced (I assume PGY-2) positions and not categorical PGY-1 positions?

Can someone please explain my situation to me? I just want to know, if I am allowed to and should scramble tomorrow for a categorical spot.

Thanks!
 
I am sorry to hear of your situation. To answer your question, the reason you can only scramble into the advanced program is because since you matched into a prelim program, you are bound by the match rules to show up at that program come July. Doing otherwise will be a violation of the match and also create a problem for the prelim program cos now they will have an empty spot to fill.

Hope this answers your question and I wish you Gods blessings in the scramble!
 
SO, if i were to scramble into an advanced position- does that mean i'm scrambling into a position starting in 2009? it just doesn't make sense to me that i would have the ability to scramble into a PGY-2 advanced position, when i haven't even done a PGY-1 yet!?? Maybe I'm just completely dense this evening. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks for the reply!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SO, if i were to scramble into an advanced position- does that mean i'm scrambling into a position starting in 2009? it just doesn't make sense to me that i would have the ability to scramble into a PGY-2 advanced position, when i haven't even done a PGY-1 yet!?? Maybe I'm just completely dense this evening. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks for the reply!

From what i gather you cannot apply for an advanced obgyn position until the 2008-2009 application season starting this fall. Maybe your hard work this coming year will put you in good standing for an advanced position at your soon to be prelim prgm. Congrats on your prelim though.
 
SO, if i were to scramble into an advanced position- does that mean i'm scrambling into a position starting in 2009? it just doesn't make sense to me that i would have the ability to scramble into a PGY-2 advanced position, when i haven't even done a PGY-1 yet!?? Maybe I'm just completely dense this evening. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks for the reply!

Nykka is right. To elaborate a bit further, there are no 'advanced' positions (i.e. PGY-2) to scramble for in ob/gyn. There are only categorical or preliminary, both starting at the PGY-1 level. Since you matched as a prelim, you cannot scramble for a categorical spot. However, next year you will be eligible to find PGY-2 positions outside of the match (the only way to find them actually, since again there are no advanced spots to apply to through the match). The ACOG website always lists available advanced positions on a rolling basis.
 
hi there....i am in the same situation..matched into prelim OBGYN 🙁...so dont know wat should i do..my Qs are
1)do i have to reapply for the categorical positions next year..heard that they do not prefer once u did a prelim becoz of funding
2)can i change into categorical spots if they are available before july 2008
3)can i change into categorical spots if they r available during PGY1
4)wat are my chances for PGY2 OBGYN spots ..
5)if PGY2 OBGYN spots are not available,wat should i do...do i need to go into another speciality with advanced positions...will a prelim year in OBGYN even be considered

i am totally confused...please somebody show me some light
 
If you have a prelim ob/gyn spot this year you do not have to go through the match again next year. THe match is only for first time graduating us seniors. Once you've been through the match once you do not have to go through it again. There will PLENTY of ob/gyn pgy 2 positions opening up for 2009-2010. Go to www.acog.org. You can apply and accept any of these positions outside of the match once you finish your prelim. If apgy2 spot becomes available because of categorical who starts with you decides to switch or quit you could take their spot after your prelim is over. I think that you have better options than if you'd done a prelim in something else.

Advance pgy2 spots are for programs that require a prelim and a separate match for residency like anesthesiology or radiology or derm. If you got a prelim but not a position in say anesthesiology you could apply for an advanced pgy2 in the scramble. Thats what that means. There are no advanced pgy2 positions in ob/gyn