Help Me!!!! Plz...HARD TIME IN SELECTION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsjymaeng

dentalschoolgogogo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I narrowed my decision to Penn and Columbia

I need to make a decision and some factors that helps me out in selecting are
1. grading system...a/b/c vs p/f/H
Is it that tough to get A's in Penn ....I need to specialize...

2. strong didactic for 2 years vs didactic/clinical ....
Heard Columbia students do well on the board exam becuz they focus on didactics.... also have higher dats...
But they lack in clinical experiences so they recommend 1 year of residencies...is that true?

3. specialization... Want to specialize in Pediatric Dentistry...heard both have higher specialization rates.

4. Location... Both awesome...close to each other...no problem...

I want to become is a dentist with good clinical skills + specializing...
Hope there is a school that combines Penn and Columbia system...
What u guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Heads: Columbia
Tails: Penn

Yea man...just take it easy. I was basically the same as you...looking at every possible thing I could regarding a couple of schools. The bottom line is you are in..and are choosing two good schools...as i've said before, and has also been said to me, where you go doesnt mean as much as what you make of where you attend...or...put in the effort anywhere and you'll get exactly to wherever you want to go. Go w/ where you feel most comfortable...atmosphere is important. If you make the most of your education, you can get into any specialty program/being as clinically proficient as you want...it's all up to you. My advice...just go w/ your gut and less about "reputations"..b/c reputations are subjective at best.

Members don't see this ad :)
so shamrock,

1. what kind of school is UPitt according to you?

2. Which one would you go to, UPitt or Columbia?

Thanks

Yea man...just take it easy. I was basically the same as you...looking at every possible thing I could regarding a couple of schools. The bottom line is you are in..and are choosing two good schools...as i've said before, and has also been said to me, where you go doesnt mean as much as what you make of where you attend...or...put in the effort anywhere and you'll get exactly to wherever you want to go. Go w/ where you feel most comfortable...atmosphere is important. If you make the most of your education, you can get into any specialty program/being as clinically proficient as you want...it's all up to you. My advice...just go w/ your gut and less about "reputations"..b/c reputations are subjective at best.

dont know anything about pitt...didn't apply, nor did I apply to Columbia..so that eliminates your 2nd question. But I still stand by my "reputations are subjective". My point is...if someone's goal is to specialize...you can do that anywhere...someone w/ a good GPA and high board scores at Pitt will get preference over someone from Columbia w/ a crap GPA and subpar board scores. It's all about where you're comfortable...if you like an environment where it can be very competitive, and want to take classes w/ med students..by all means go to Columbia...if you like what Pitt has to offer, go to Pitt. like i said...subjective. Will this be the mindest for everyone? of course not...everyone approaches this their own way. This just happens to be mine..and I must say has worked out quite nicely

Congrats on Penn btw. From what you told me, I think you know you want to attend Penn. Penn Dental is hardcore, but the students seem to have more free time judging by the fact they offer dual degrees and they release random "dental rap" videos up on youtube. If it weren't for the price tag, I would say Penn without hesitation after much thought even though I really really liked Columbia as you might have noticed in December.

like everyone else is saying, you really can't go wrong. I just want to point out that if you're specializing anyway, point #2 about the residency isn't really an issue.

And columbia also offers combined degrees (definitely MPH and i want to say MBA too). But really just go where you feet better. For me, 3 letters (nyc!) make all the difference btwn the 2, but obviously everybody doesn't feel the same way. Good luck w/ the decision!

Thanks for the advice!

dont know anything about pitt...didn't apply, nor did I apply to Columbia..so that eliminates your 2nd question. But I still stand by my "reputations are subjective". My point is...if someone's goal is to specialize...you can do that anywhere...someone w/ a good GPA and high board scores at Pitt will get preference over someone from Columbia w/ a crap GPA and subpar board scores. It's all about where you're comfortable...if you like an environment where it can be very competitive, and want to take classes w/ med students..by all means go to Columbia...if you like what Pitt has to offer, go to Pitt. like i said...subjective. Will this be the mindest for everyone? of course not...everyone approaches this their own way. This just happens to be mine..and I must say has worked out quite nicely

2. strong didactic for 2 years vs didactic/clinical ....
Heard Columbia students do well on the board exam becuz they focus on didactics.... also have higher dats...
But they lack in clinical experiences so they recommend 1 year of residencies...is that true?

3. specialization... Want to specialize in Pediatric Dentistry...heard both have higher specialization rates.

4. Location... Both awesome...close to each other...no problem...

I want to become is a dentist with good clinical skills + specializing...
Hope there is a school that combines Penn and Columbia system...
What u guys think?

Did you end up getting the Dean's scholarship at Penn? I know you were talking about that possibility before ...

The pass/fail system will NOT hurt your chances to specialize. Look at the other schools that have P/F: Harvard, UCSF, UCLA, etc. You think people from those schools can't specialize??

It's real simple: get awesome LOR's from your school, particularly the field you are gonna spec in and most importantly, kick a$$ on the part I NBDE. Then roll the dice and hope you match.

Go to Penn. The Penn campus is a little bit safer than the Columbia campus

:scared: :scared:

I think everyone "needs" to specialize going in....just take a breath and start school and see what you like! You're setting yourself up for either disappointment or a hemorrhaging ulcer....(you'll also be laughed at if you say that on the first day)

I say, go back to both schools for a relaxed visit, where you talk to as many students as you can (stay with friends or at a youth hostel.) The few hundred you shell out is an understandable investment for a 4-year decision.

Go to Penn. I want Columbia spot. ;)

Penn is safer, I hear. Columbia is closer to my home, so I know the safety of the area...Penn is your safe haven. :thumbup:

i would prolly choose penn....seems more layed back (more free time)...beautiful campus...dental curriculum.

this is off topic, but whatever... are there many, if any, penn dental students that are doing the MBA at wharton?

jb!:)

Go to Columbia so I can have your spot at Penn! Interview on Friday :)

Actually, go to Penn - you seem like you would be a good classmate.

i would prolly choose penn....seems more layed back (more free time)...beautiful campus...dental curriculum.

this is off topic, but whatever... are there many, if any, penn dental students that are doing the MBA at wharton?

jb!:)

penn is by no means anywhere close to "layed back." only 1 student is doing an MBA and he is adding time onto his 4 yrs to get that, plus im pretty sure he has to pay for it. what they dont tell you about the dual degree program is that only 4 students get theirs paid for by the dental school (2 for higher education and 2 for bioethics). i just found this out last week at a meeting and im kind of disappointed.

my best advice-go where you felt more comfortable during your interview. if you arent sure, revisit both for a day and try to get a better feel, you'll be spending 4 years there.

P, F, H is almost like getting grades (A, B, C). Most likely, the difference is that a large number of people will get P. Most likely, getting H would be tough, even tougher than getting an A. Take that into consideration.

So any advantages from H, P, F grading, in my opinion, is nullified. The best bet, as mentioned previously, is to go the school you have good vibes with.