medictech13

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
8
0
Status
I am n the process of thinking where to take my NMAT...here in California or in the Philippines...I dunno when? what they need?....or whatever so help me out in here aigt?! I'll wait for you...Pleaseeeeeeeeeee :D :D :D
 

a_cube07

PLM College of Medicine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
31
0
35
Cavite Philippines
Status
medictech13 said:
I am n the process of thinking where to take my NMAT...here in California or in the Philippines...I dunno when? what they need?....or whatever so help me out in here aigt?! I'll wait for you...Pleaseeeeeeeeeee :D :D :D
if youre interested in taking nmat here in the Phlippines
try to call these numbers for inquiries.. (63)(02) 894-1392;8943686;813-3691. Nmat here in the PHilippines are conducted either on april or december :)
 
OP
M

medictech13

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
8
0
Status
a_cube07 said:
if youre interested in taking nmat here in the Phlippines
try to call these numbers for inquiries.. (63)(02) 894-1392;8943686;813-3691. Nmat here in the PHilippines are conducted either on april or december :)
thank you
 

phlipsquad

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
163
0
Status
medictech13 said:
thank you
Hi Medic,
If you are in the states, you should take it here. It saves you money. I mean, I took the NMAT last year. Its cost was like $375.COuld be a little bit more now, but no more than 500 dollars. Round trip tickets to the philippines is like 800-1200 dollars depending on the season. Taking it here would definitely save you money.
 

Saipan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
183
0
Status
Hey, it depends on your desired timeline.

If you shift your butt and call those numbers for CEM you can take the NMAT in Manila on April 10, do your application paperwork and start at a Filipino med school in June of THIS year.

Or you has hesitate and put it off for another year.
 

car2x

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
7
0
Status
I was wondering if anyone could help me decide on something before applying for a philippine medical school.

I have emailed DLSU and St.Lukes and they told me that they don't require applicants like me to take the "recommended" courses before medical school and I should concentrate on getting a good score on the NMAT.

However, I don't have any science background at all. I'm about to graduate with a BA in Psychology from a Canadian university and would like to get into med school. But, I'm afraid that my lack of knowledge in the sciences could affect my performance in medschool and the NMAT. Although, I am thinking of studying for the NMAT from this coming April until december or next april...would this be sufficient time to study for the NMAT with a private tutor even without any science courses taken in university?
 

phlipsquad

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
163
0
Status
car2x said:
I was wondering if anyone could help me decide on something before applying for a philippine medical school.

I have emailed DLSU and St.Lukes and they told me that they don't require applicants like me to take the "recommended" courses before medical school and I should concentrate on getting a good score on the NMAT.

However, I don't have any science background at all. I'm about to graduate with a BA in Psychology from a Canadian university and would like to get into med school. But, I'm afraid that my lack of knowledge in the sciences could affect my performance in medschool and the NMAT. Although, I am thinking of studying for the NMAT from this coming April until december or next april...would this be sufficient time to study for the NMAT with a private tutor even without any science courses taken in university?
Hi car,
I think that's more than enough time. I studied for mine in 2 weeks. Nevertheless, I took the MCAT a few months before that, and had studied for 2 months for the MCAT. Have you taken the MCAT? If you have, then you are more than ready to tackle the NMAT. In my opinion, the MCAT is very difficult while the NMAT is so easy. It's all basic sciences. I was a Biology grad, who had some trouble with the MCAT but aced (90th percentile)the NMAT. So, if you have taken an intro bio, chem, and physics in college, don't worry. Also, I used this MSA reviewer book, which my friend bought from the phils.
 

car2x

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
7
0
Status
phlipsquad said:
Hi car,
I think that's more than enough time. I studied for mine in 2 weeks. Nevertheless, I took the MCAT a few months before that, and had studied for 2 months for the MCAT. Have you taken the MCAT? If you have, then you are more than ready to tackle the NMAT. In my opinion, the MCAT is very difficult while the NMAT is so easy. It's all basic sciences. I was a Biology grad, who had some trouble with the MCAT but aced (90th percentile)the NMAT. So, if you have taken an intro bio, chem, and physics in college, don't worry. Also, I used this MSA reviewer book, which my friend bought from the phils.
Thanks phlipsquad, but when i said i have no science background.. i really mean it. i didn't take any science courses during my undergrad. :S do you think its possible to sqore adequately well without these things? however, i will try to see if i can find a good tutor who can teach me everything before the exam. my other option is to take a second degree, what do you think?
 

Saipan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
183
0
Status
I don't think you have to worry about the NMAT. But how will you handle the actually medical school courses if you have no science background?

The schools in the PI may not "require" a list of specic pre-reqs, but I think you are going to need a certain amount of science before you tackle the first year of med school.

Schools are flexible and accept students with different academic backgrounds. But getting in and staying in are two different things. If you were deficient in just one or two small areas I would say "no problem". But I think you will need at least some of the traditional "pre-med" courses so you don't drown in med school.

Unless you are a total genius, who is confident of just picking everything up with just a little "tutoring", I'd think about that a lttle more.
 

Spartan Doc

Jedi Knight
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
102
0
Coruscant
Visit site
Status
Car- I agree with Saipan, having no science background will hurt you in the long run. You don't just want to get into medical school, you want to succeed. I know several docs that went to medical school without a science bachelors, but they all had taken basic science pre requisites for med school... i.e. biochem, general bio, etc.
Given the current climate of medicine, understanding the basics of biochemistry is important. Your physiology and pharmacology all build on these basics and I just don't know how you would fare without having any background at all.
I would take some basic science classes before starting medical school
 

car2x

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
7
0
Status
Thanks Saipan and Spartan! That really helped me clear things up. I've been asking people around this problem and most people just want to "get in" without really thinking about what's going to happen once you're in. Reading the comments from you guys really helped me decide on what i should do next... :) i guess i'm off to complete a 2nd degree or finish some science courses when i arrive in manila in april. thanks, if you guys know of any post-baccalaureate premedical program in manila please tell me. :) thanks
 

phlipsquad

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
163
0
Status
car2x said:
Thanks Saipan and Spartan! That really helped me clear things up. I've been asking people around this problem and most people just want to "get in" without really thinking about what's going to happen once you're in. Reading the comments from you guys really helped me decide on what i should do next... :) i guess i'm off to complete a 2nd degree or finish some science courses when i arrive in manila in april. thanks, if you guys know of any post-baccalaureate premedical program in manila please tell me. :) thanks
Car,
I see now.I assumed you were psychology (pre-med).Im sorry, then I agree with both spartan and saipan. I think its better if you get the basics first. You should take the pre-med course. Btw, I think most, if not all, schools in the Phils require that you take bio, chem , and physics. I think high school science is insufficient.Once you have done them then take the NMAT. Good Luck.
 

car2x

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
7
0
Status
phlipsquad said:
Car,
I see now.I assumed you were psychology (pre-med).Im sorry, then I agree with both spartan and saipan. I think its better if you get the basics first. You should take the pre-med course. Btw, I think most, if not all, schools in the Phils require that you take bio, chem , and physics. I think high school science is insufficient.Once you have done them then take the NMAT. Good Luck.
Thanks phlipsqua :)
yeah they said it's a requirement but i DLSU and St.Lukes emailed me that it wasn't really that essential to them to have it and they usually just look at your NMAT results. but even then, i think you guys are right. i'm planning to see if a school in manila will accept me as a non-degree student or something like that just so that i can finish some science courses or i was thinking of going into medtech as a second degree. what do you guys think?
would anyone happen to know of a post-bacc progam in the phil? i know they have it in the US, but due to financial circumstances i'm not capable of enrolling in them. :S
 
OP
M

medictech13

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
8
0
Status
Do you know any number or any site that I can go? to apply.
phlipsquad said:
Hi Medic,
If you are in the states, you should take it here. It saves you money. I mean, I took the NMAT last year. Its cost was like $375.COuld be a little bit more now, but no more than 500 dollars. Round trip tickets to the philippines is like 800-1200 dollars depending on the season. Taking it here would definitely save you money.
 

bleudsky

MD, DPAFP
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
301
1
Manila, Philippines
Status
Resident [Any Field]
car2x - what is/are your target medical schools here in manila? some schools are very strict in completing in the required minimum # of units for medicine (like UST). they check it through your transcript of records (a photocopy will suffice). i have a classmate who took ab psych as his pre-med but had to wait for 2 yrs before he was able to enter medical school. he didn't take any 2nd course. he just enrolled for some science subjects (i.e. comparative anatomy) just to reach the # of units required. hope this could help.
 

car2x

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
7
0
Status
bleudsky said:
car2x - what is/are your target medical schools here in manila? some schools are very strict in completing in the required minimum # of units for medicine (like UST). they check it through your transcript of records (a photocopy will suffice). i have a classmate who took ab psych as his pre-med but had to wait for 2 yrs before he was able to enter medical school. he didn't take any 2nd course. he just enrolled for some science subjects (i.e. comparative anatomy) just to reach the # of units required. hope this could help.
hey bleusky! well i was thinking of applying to either DLSU, UST, UERM, or some other med schools approved in the states. but yeah, those are my top three choices. i wanted to apply for UP, but it seems nearly impossible. oh well. oh, i wanted to ask you how your friend applied to some science courses? did he just take them from his original undergrad university? can you apply as a non-degree student? from the research i acquired about philippine universities, they only allow students to be registered as a non-degree student for a maximum of a year or less.
 

bleudsky

MD, DPAFP
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
301
1
Manila, Philippines
Status
Resident [Any Field]
car2x,

from what i remember, he took comparative ana in another university. yes, he was a non-degree student. prior to it, he was employed in his highschool alma mater. i just don't have any idea what are the other subjects he took (as a non-degree student). then, those subjects were credited.