Help Me Solve This Problem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a junior currently registered in 4 classes, doing research at my undergrad's med school, and doing a special program for which I have to work in the ER for 5 hours week. This brings my total credits to 19 for the semester. I am taking Physics and Vertebrate Structure (each 4 credits and have labs), French Poetry and Francophone African History (each 3 credits). I am thinking about dropping the last class because I don't really need it, but the material is rather interesting. However, in combination with my massive Vertebrate and Physics loads, I think I won't have enough strength to devote to each of the things I am involved in. If I do drop the class, is 3 real class plus research plus my special ER program a good schedule. Do med schools like seeing a good size course load?? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

It actually sounds to me like you have a nice balance, and you're doing something you're interested in for YOURSELF, not the adcoms. I say go for it, and if you're going crazy by the time the drop deadline comes around, don't hesitate to drop the last class, though. Three classes (two of them traditionally "challenging", though I wouldn't say French Poetry is necessarily a cakewalk either), research, anc ER time don't make for a slacker. So essentially, do what's going to keep you sane, either way would be fine I think.

BTW, I was in the same boat last semester -- physics 2 and lab, Gen chem 2 and it's KILLER (now scaled back because it was too hard) lab, calculus, and Italian Conversation along with 5 hours per week volunteering. I have to say it was hectic and was about to cry and quit a few times during the semester. I couldn't have handled anything more on top of that (equating time for calc = your time for research). But that's just me. Good luck!

as far as i know, they don't give a rat's a$$ about the size of your course load *at any particular point*. They care overall about how challenging your classes were, though..

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually when I called our state school they DID care about class load. However, they really only seemed to care if I was capable of doing a full load. As a non-trad it had been a few years since I'd been in the educational arena and I was told I MUST demonstrate ability to handle a full load. I don't think, however, that it really matters much beyond that.

I think how well you do in classes would matter much more than your course load, if you're doing a "normal" course load (i.e. not too low).

-RA

I would drop the French Poetry class only because it has the word "poetry" in it. :D

Don't worry about course loads. As long as you take a full load (12 credits or more) I can't imagine any med school calling you on that. How can they criticize you for something that probably 99% of their other applicants are doing as well.

Keep in mind, though, that having W's on your transcripts will probably be noticed. So you'll wanna be careful about dropping classes, unless it's done before the date where a W will show up on your transcripts.