HELP me understand the Basics...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGMC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a final year medical student in India. I will be taking USMLE in the year 2012. Can some one guide me in understanding what happens next (Once i have cleared my USMLE) I want to do Cardiology or Oncology. I am aware that i need to do Residency there for 3 years and then i choose any one of the above option.

In order to do that do i have to take Internal medicine residency? and then choose Cardio or Onco fellowship? So does it mean that 3 years of Res + 3 years of cardio or Onco?

And do i have to pay for my residency like an annual fee or do i get payed?

I would be really grateful if someone guide me in understanding these things.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a final year medical student in India. I will be taking USMLE in the year 2012. Can some one guide me in understanding what happens next (Once i have cleared my USMLE) I want to do Cardiology or Oncology. I am aware that i need to do Residency there for 3 years and then i choose any one of the above option.

In order to do that do i have to take Internal medicine residency? and then choose Cardio or Onco fellowship? So does it mean that 3 years of Res + 3 years of cardio or Onco?

And do i have to pay for my residency like an annual fee or do i get payed?

I would be really grateful if someone guide me in understanding these things.

Thank you!!

1. If you want to practice medicine in the United States, 3 years IM + 3 years Heme-Onc (which most people do; I dont know how long the only-Onc fellowship is). Many people in Cardiology often do advanced Cards fellowships nowadays (especially IMGs, who find it harder to get into Cards even in the presence of a stellar CV), which will make your fellowship longer than 3 years. If you dont want to practice medicine independently in the US at any time, then you can possibly complete medicine in your home country and do a fellowship here (and then obviously go back or do a join as a non-clinical faculty); I do not know the particulars of that, but I have heard of people doing it.

2. You get payed, but you also must pay taxes. There is no fee like in med school.

P.S. Mods, is there a way we can put these questions into one common thread and make it a stickie so the same questions dont get asked over and over again?