Help me with my list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sl2obel2ts

i like tomatoes
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i am applying in like 10 days, but I narrowed down my choice of schools to 24 schools according to # of out of state acceptances and pre-req requirements. I am a California resident, and I need to make sure that I get in somewhere. I have 3.4ogpa 3.6 sgpa, haven't taken dat yet. Here is my list. Please help me narrow it down to 15 to 20 if possible!

ASDOH
Boston U
Buffalo
Case Western
Columbia
Creighton
Detroit Mercy
Indiana
Lousiville
Marquette
Minnesota
NOVA
NYU
Penn
Pittsburgh
Temple
UCLA
UCSF
U Conn
UMDNJ
UNLV
USC
VCU
WesternU

My co-worker told me nova won't consider me cuz I don't speak spanish, is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

Your coworker was either uninformed or lying.

i think your list is good. you dont want to reduce the number of schools too much because you dont know how well you are going to do on your dats.

if you are confident, then apply to less schools.

did you use the adea book and/or predents.com to check the statistics?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used predents.com for statistics and went to each school's website to see what the prereq was.

looks good to me. Aplying to 24 schools vs applying to 12 doubles your chances and the cost per schoo, price decreases.

I was going to apply to 8 back in the day for 900 bucks, but the cost of going for 16 schools made the price jump by 300 bucks or so, it is a deal.

good luck

looks good to me. Aplying to 24 schools vs applying to 12 doubles your chances and the cost per schoo, price decreases.

I was going to apply to 8 back in the day for 900 bucks, but the cost of going for 16 schools made the price jump by 300 bucks or so, it is a deal.

good luck
The generous people at AADSAS did away with the gradually reduced fees last year. Now it's $195 for the first school and then $60/school after that. No reductions anywhere. That was actually last year, it's probably gotten worse since then.
OP- I think your list is good. Make sure you have the comm service to backup the ASDOH app. and research for Penn. If I had to pick a few to remove from the list, I'd say Creighton, Detroit Mercy, UConn, and UMDNJ. Mostly for reasons related to my experience last year. I'll explain if you want, just use the PM.

Hey is there any reason for your mention of community service for ASDOH?

The generous people at AADSAS did away with the gradually reduced fees last year. Now it's $195 for the first school and then $60/school after that. No reductions anywhere. That was actually last year, it's probably gotten worse since then.
OP- I think your list is good. Make sure you have the comm service to backup the ASDOH app. and research for Penn. If I had to pick a few to remove from the list, I'd say Creighton, Detroit Mercy, UConn, and UMDNJ. Mostly for reasons related to my experience last year. I'll explain if you want, just use the PM.

Serious? Wow, that totally sucks. Sorry for the misinformation! :eek:

I'm in a similar situation. 3.5o 3.5s gpas also cali resident.
But I am not leaving Cali....So I need a killer DAT.

Its always a good thing to know more than one language.

Your list does looks pretty good. The ones I would consider removing are Minnesota (they're not big on CA kids... 1 or 2 in the last 5 years) and UMDNJ... I had a weird exchange with one of their advisors... I called them to ask why I got rejected and what I could change if I were to reapply... the lady looks over my application for a second and comes back with "You're from California... you don't really want to go here. Every time we bring in California students for interviews, they decide not to come here. If you really want to get in, you need to write the dean a letter expressing that you are genuinely interested in attending this school." Haha... on the other hand, that does say that they interview CA kids... just found that kinda weird...

thanks a lot that really helps! I just ordered "adea guide to dental school" will reduce # of schools even more and maybe add a lil!

Your list does looks pretty good. The ones I would consider removing are Minnesota (they're not big on CA kids... 1 or 2 in the last 5 years) and UMDNJ... I had a weird exchange with one of their advisors... I called them to ask why I got rejected and what I could change if I were to reapply... the lady looks over my application for a second and comes back with "You're from California... you don't really want to go here. Every time we bring in California students for interviews, they decide not to come here. If you really want to get in, you need to write the dean a letter expressing that you are genuinely interested in attending this school." Haha... on the other hand, that does say that they interview CA kids... just found that kinda weird...

hahaha, schools usually don't tell us that, mostly so we keep applying and keep supplying ;)

Haha.. yeah, I was totally taken aback. I wish I had a more clever response, but the only thing I could come back with at the time was "Ok... thanks!" haha

Californians would have it rough adapting to -50 windchills. And yes, highs in the -10's!

is there an application fee waiver? how does it work?up to how many schools?

Hi,

i am applying in like 10 days, but I narrowed down my choice of schools to 24 schools according to # of out of state acceptances and pre-req requirements. I am a California resident, and I need to make sure that I get in somewhere. I have 3.4ogpa 3.6 sgpa, haven't taken dat yet. Here is my list. Please help me narrow it down to 15 to 20 if possible!

ASDOH
Boston U
Buffalo
Case Western
Columbia
Creighton
Detroit Mercy
Indiana
Lousiville
Marquette
Minnesota
NOVA
NYU
Penn
Pittsburgh
Temple
UCLA
UCSF
U Conn
UMDNJ
UNLV
USC
VCU
WesternU

My co-worker told me nova won't consider me cuz I don't speak spanish, is that true?

You have listed a fair number of state schools from states that are far from California. I might want to remove them or at the very least not put a high priority on them since they might be somewhat of a reach. Buffalo is a very out of state friendly state school so that's an exception. Keep UNLV and Buffalo.

Your coworker is very uninformed about Nova. They don't require Spanish. It is a plus to have such a knowledge though.

If you are interested in State schools why not consider Oregon and Washington? They are from your neck of the woods. Instead of going for state schools on the other side of the country go for ones neighboring states.

oregon, I didn't take 2 years of bio with lab. I took A&P w/o lab. Washington, I didn't add it because only 10 got accepted on predents. Should I apply to Washington?

Washington has a biased against CA kids... you can add it to the list if you want, but I definitely wouldn't eliminate any of your schools in favor of Washington