Help me with my school list!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calguitar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to submit my application in soon, but I still haven't finalized my list yet. I'm from California and decided to apply to the ones in Cali, but couldn't narrow down on my list for out of state schools. My GPA's around 3.75 and science GPA's probably a little over 3.8. I'm taking DAT in two weeks about I'm expecting about 22 avg and 26+ on PAT and QR. The things I'm looking for are

Clinically strong, nice (not too cold!) weather, descent out of state acceptance rate, prep for WREB.

Here's my list so far. I'm hoping to narrow down to under twenty (including 6 schools from california)

BU
CASE
CREIGHTON
NYU
PENN
TEMPLE
TUFTS
NOVA
PITT
UMD
UMDNJ
OREGON
UNLV
INDIANA
MICHIGAN
UDM
VCU
WASH
ASDOH
MARQUETTE
OHIO STATE

Please feel free to give me feedback on any of these schools, especially if you attend one of them or have interviewed/checked out the school. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm about to submit my application in soon, but I still haven't finalized my list yet. I'm from California and decided to apply to the ones in Cali, but couldn't narrow down on my list for out of state schools. My GPA's around 3.75 and science GPA's probably a little over 3.8. I'm taking DAT in two weeks about I'm expecting about 22 avg and 26+ on PAT and QR. The things I'm looking for are

Clinically strong, nice (not too cold!) weather, descent out of state acceptance rate, prep for WREB.

Here's my list so far. I'm hoping to narrow down to under twenty (including 6 schools from california)

BU
CASE
CREIGHTON
NYU
PENN
TEMPLE
TUFTS
NOVA
PITT
UMD
UMDNJ
OREGON
UNLV
INDIANA
MICHIGAN
UDM
VCU
WASH
ASDOH
MARQUETTE
OHIO STATE

Please feel free to give me feedback on any of these schools, especially if you attend one of them or have interviewed/checked out the school. Thank you!

It will be awesome if you get those scores but then dont count your eggs before they are hatched!!!!

Ok, I'll remember that, ...but any suggestion on the school list? anyone??

Members don't see this ad :)

BU
CASE
CREIGHTON
NYU
PENN
TEMPLE
TUFTS
NOVA
PITT
UMD
UMDNJ
OREGON
UNLV
INDIANA
MICHIGAN
UDM
VCU
WASH
ASDOH
MARQUETTE
OHIO STATE

You have a pretty good list. It's hard to narrow it down but if you insist maybe state schools that you are not a resident. I'd slash the list to half since you have strong stats GPA wise. Do well on the DAT and you have a shot at most private schools.

If you end up doing as well on the DAT as you think, and since your gpa is very good, i would think twice about applying to NYU. expensive school and sounds like you want to remain on the west coast. other than that state schools with low out of state acceptance would be next on the chopping block. UW has a low out of state acceptance. thats the only one i know about.

Why don't you apply to Cali schools first and add a few more after taking DAT in two weeks?
If you get 22+ on DAT as you expect, it will be somewhat waste of money and time to apply to that many schools.

If money is not a problem then apply to as many schools as you would genuinely like to attend. If you are simply worried about acceptance probability, I would say that with your anticipated DAT and GPA you are applying to more schools than necessary and most likely wasting perfectly good money. The average applicant applies to 9-10 schools and has lower numbers than you have.

In terms of weather, MICHIGAN, and UDM are both pretty chilly in the winter but both are good schools. Marquette, Ohio, and Indiana are also not as nice as California in the winter, but are good schools.

Why don't you apply to Cali schools first and add a few more after taking DAT in two weeks?
If you get 22+ on DAT as you expect, it will be somewhat waste of money and time to apply to that many schools.

If I add schools in two weeks, does that mean these schools will get my application later than the ones I put on the list when I first submit the application?

Also, are any of the schools on my list known for up-to-date technology and facilities?

Thank you guys.

If I add schools in two weeks, does that mean these schools will get my application later than the ones I put on the list when I first submit the application?

Also, are any of the schools on my list known for up-to-date technology and facilities?

Thank you guys.

Ok, so a couple cents. First and foremost, your in-state schools are your best options. By all means direct yourself in that direction. I would go as far as to say at least halve your list. Stats are great, but your DAT is fictional for right now, and that's one pretty outstanding goal score. I would do some simple internet researching about the schools. You seem a little naive about applying so think about some more basic stuff that you may not have noticed when you were looking at school names. ie. Indiana is NOT IU, it's UIPUI, which is in Indy. Sounds stupid, but alot of state schools are not normal campuses. Remarkably that's about the only one I found on your list. When applying out of state or to several schools check pre-reqs before pissing away your money ie. OSU requires shadowing experience or some have crazy academic requirements. Think more geography ie. Temple is in the GHETTO. Honestly, many schools which are considered "TOP" schools are often some of the smallest, low-tech, no specialty, no fancy research dollar facilities. For example OSU's prelab is a windowless, dry cutting, no simulation, pit of a basement. Saying things like being prepared for boards and high tech can be contradictory. Shiny new equipment or facilities don't make you any better, its a combo of instruction and personal drive. Lastly when it comes to stats they don't lie to a degree. Certain schools take more out of state people. Make a personal call, a couple grab bags, and just bank on Cali.

Indiana is NOT IU, it's UIPUI, which is in Indy.

It's IUPUI. Just thought I'd be anal. Anyways, I liked what you said. All true. and to the OP, if you want up-to-date facilities, take IUPUI off the list. Not to say anything bad about the campus, they just aren't the prettiest building on the block.