Help Me With Suggestions/Advice Please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ag524

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster haha. I just wanted to let you know about my current situation and what some of your advice/suggestions/comments are. So first I'll discuss my grades, then my dental experiences, and then my quest to gain acceptance into dental school.

I graduated in February 2011 with a B.S. in Biomedical Science and a minor in Pharm & Tox. My cumulative GPA was a 3.696. I was also a member of our pre-dental club and the Association for Pre-Medical Students. I took the DAT in October 2011 and had the following scores (numbers in parentheses represent the percentile):
- PAT: 19 (69.4)
- QR: 18 (86.6)
- RC: 22 (93.2)
- BIO: 23 (98.9)
- GEN CHEM: 22 (95.2)
- ORGO: 20 (84.4)
- TS: 22 (98.3)
- AA: 21 (97.2)

As far as dental experience, I have always been on the path towards dentistry. I did a high school internship observing a general dentist my senior year of high school (oh how I wish my guidance counselors had told me about the combined degree programs..ugh). I also observed the dental clinic at my university during my undergraduate years. I admit I would've liked to observe the clinic more, but between studying my coursework and working part time, I went as often as I could. All together I had roughly 100 hours of shadow experience. As of last week, I found a place to shadow again which will be important for my reapplication (which I will tell you about soon...I know this is getting long so please be patient with me haha).

And now the part where I need the most amount of advice from everybody. My application for 2012 was completed in June of 2011 with the exception of my DAT score (which as you will remember I didn't take until October). I applied to 8 schools: Buffalo, Maryland, UCONN, Ohio State, Pitt, Tufts, Boston University, and Stony Brook. Of those, I only got 2 interviews- from Buffalo and Maryland. I got waitlisted at both. With my credentials, is it possible that my late DAT was my main hold up? My pre-health advisors seem to think so (which is why they didn't recommend for me to go for a post-bac or anything like that).

Now, I am reapplying for 2013 while still be waitlisted for 2012. Since January of 2012, I had been searching for a place to shadow in the hospital setting due to advice from a dean of admissions. However, after months of leaving messages and emails at numerous locations all telling me of no such opportunities, I found a local Aspen Dental to observe at last week and that at least shows I am still dedicated to the field.

Should I reapply to the same schools as last year knowing that my DAT score is ready to go? Different schools? A mix of the two? Was 8 a good number of schools to apply to? If I don't get off a waitlist for 2012, do you think my chances are good for 2013? Any help/advice/comments/anything is appreciated. Thanks everyone and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are all good as far as GPA and DAT scores are concerned. It just seems like dental volunteerism/shadowing are sort of lacking... advice from the dean, right? So I'd go shadow some private dental offices. Just walk into one and ask if you can. Most of the time, they will be nice about it. Trying to land a position in a hospital would be much harder. And shadowing Aspen Dental is... not a good idea. It's corporate dentistry that a lot of dentists and dental faculty actually frown upon. I'd try to get some hours this summer at a private dental office. If you were around, you can totally shadow in my office. I'm a hygienist and we have friendly dentists here :)

UConn and Ohio state - both favor in staters almost exclusively. Chances at these schools are slim to none. I'd add more private schools to the list, such as Nova, Western, Case etc. On average, students apply in the dozen range. Try to apply to maybe at least 12 schools this cycle. Best of luck