help me

Started by mh1908
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mh1908

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi, guys

i am studying for a dental school
however, i am not sure about that
so, i wanna prepare for a pharmacy school, too
i don't have any friends who have studied for pcat

is it much different from dat? (scienc part and reading part and math part)
how can i study for verbal section?
is there any good books?

if i took some science classes at cc, is it gonna be a problem later?

some schools in ca don't require pcat. what does that mean?
i can get in the schools with just gpa?

thank you
 
I'm not sure how many people here have taken the pcat as well as the dat, so that question may be hard to answer. If you want to know the difference between the two and the material tested, get books for both tests and compare the material.

For the verbal section, there really isn't anything that you can do in my opinion. It's a culmination of your verbal/vocabulary skills from your entire educational career. You can't really cram vocabulary.

If a school doesn't require a PCAT, that's just that. They don't use the test for admission consideration.
 
You actually can cram vocabulary but it takes an enormous amount of time and effort. Back when I was taking the GRE years ago, I got a word list in a book of about 3500 words. Of those, I knew probably half. I memorized the other half and aced that section of the exam. I don't recommend this for the PCAT. That time and effort would be better spent preparing for the other parts of the exam. You can survive a fairly low score in one section and still get a pretty good composite.
 
In the math section of the PCAT, they test you on algebra, word problems, pre-calc, calculus and statistics. A lot of people say it's the toughest section on the PCAT because time is very limited and most people don't even finish it. I didn't finish the math section and i still did relatively well so i'm sure you can too.

Yes - There are handful of pharmacy schools that don't require the PCATs, particularly in CA. However, they highly recommend people to take it. And considering admission is becoming increasingly competitive, you should take it.

I know some people with near perfect GPAs but they were denied admission because they didn't take the PCAT

If you're studying for the DATs, you might as well take the PCAT too.
 
i think that the bio and chem is harder on the DATs. so if you're prepared for that.. you're prepared for the bio and chem for the pcats. Also, be prepared to write two essays.

I used the DAT destroyer to study for my bio section for a day or two and got ~96 %tile