help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almond

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a message about this a couple weeks ago, and got some great advice about what I should do, but now there's a new twist to the problem...just when I came to a decision!! So now I need your help once again.

My original problem was whether I should choose relocating to work in a research lab that I love working in (I'm familiar with the area of research and the prof who's in charge of the lab) or stay where I am now and take lots and lots of post-bacc classes (not thru a program) to improve my chances of getting into med school (GPA under 3.0). After hearing all the advice, the clear decision was to stay here and take classes.

Here's the new problem:
I have a chance of getting into a masters program at a state university, which starts next month. If I relocate, I will only be doing research. I am looking into getting a masters while work there, but there's no guarantee i'll get into the program. The chances of getting into the program at the state university is better. But research at the new lab, which is actually at a UC campus, would be soooo much more interesting to me. Are you confused yet? :D

I've been talking to many people, including the PI of my current lab and people who were once on the admission committee, and some other med school students, and they've been telling me that getting a masters is USELESS!! Is this true?!?!? And also that taking post-bacc class is USELESS!! Is this true also?? What am I supposed to do??

oh yeah...my goal is to get into medical school..obviously. So that's my problem. What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

I gues I am lost :D :D
would someone helpe me ..oh I mean helpe here ;)

Sorry. I guess I've been blabbing away and not making much sense. Welcome to my brain. Let me try again.

I have 2 choices.

Choice 1: I move to work at a UC in the college of medicine doing research work. Advantages: I know the prof in charge of the lab, I know the area of research, he can help me, but not guarantee me admission into the graduate program there.

Choice 2: Stay where I am. Go get a masters at a local state university, where I have a higher chance of getting in. Do research, but not necessarily research I am interested in, but get the masters 1.5 years faster.

I am also confused as to whether a masters degree actually helps in terms of med school admission.

I hope I make more sense. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
With a sub 3.0 GPA your biggest concern should be proving that you have what it takes academically to succeed in med school. I think you would have a better chance of doing so in the Master's program. Just make sure that you get EXCELLENT grades! Good Luck.

I agree with Mango (I love mango :)). I know you wont be doing what u like, but it might take you to what you like :D
Go with Master's program almond.
good luck, and don't listen to depressing people (getting a masters is USELESS!!And also that taking post-bacc class is USELESS!!) Then would you tell me what the hell is Useful :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick response guys. I'll go for the masters. :D