Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SO i am stuck in a very strange situation...
I just graduated med school. still looking to match into residency. hopefully this year, fingers crossed. im drowning in a HUGE amount of medical school debt, as most of us usually are. ( 6 figures to be precise)
My fiance ( almost), who is not in the medical field, but is making a 6-figure salary himself, in texas, is a having a huge problem with my debt. He believes that it should be paid off BEFORE we get married. He knows that my loan will not become his responsibility, but says that if we were to go and buy a house or car etc, that my credit/debt would be looked at and would hurt matters. That, even if we were to buy it on his name ONLY, my credit/debt would still be looked at and affect us negatively. How true is this?
Also:
1. how am i supposed to pay it off such a huge amount of debt before residency? ( He knows I am applying and trying to get residency and after residency will have no problem paying it off)
2. My debt will not affect him and his finances as far as i am concerned and from the research i have done, correct?
3. Fortunately, if worse case scenario hits, I have family who have savings and will have no problem helping me pay it off later, if I ever need the help. They are my back-up, in a worse case scenario. BUT he insists I have my family pay it off NOW before we get married, or else we dont get married...does that even make sense? What kind of demand is that?
4. I kinda feel he wants the loan/debt to be gone so that when i do start making a decent living, it will go towards our common bank account, which would benefit him too. Meaning I kinda feel hes all about the money, rather than marrying me for me..? Doesnt it kinda sound like that too?
I just graduated med school. still looking to match into residency. hopefully this year, fingers crossed. im drowning in a HUGE amount of medical school debt, as most of us usually are. ( 6 figures to be precise)
My fiance ( almost), who is not in the medical field, but is making a 6-figure salary himself, in texas, is a having a huge problem with my debt. He believes that it should be paid off BEFORE we get married. He knows that my loan will not become his responsibility, but says that if we were to go and buy a house or car etc, that my credit/debt would be looked at and would hurt matters. That, even if we were to buy it on his name ONLY, my credit/debt would still be looked at and affect us negatively. How true is this?
Also:
1. how am i supposed to pay it off such a huge amount of debt before residency? ( He knows I am applying and trying to get residency and after residency will have no problem paying it off)
2. My debt will not affect him and his finances as far as i am concerned and from the research i have done, correct?
3. Fortunately, if worse case scenario hits, I have family who have savings and will have no problem helping me pay it off later, if I ever need the help. They are my back-up, in a worse case scenario. BUT he insists I have my family pay it off NOW before we get married, or else we dont get married...does that even make sense? What kind of demand is that?
4. I kinda feel he wants the loan/debt to be gone so that when i do start making a decent living, it will go towards our common bank account, which would benefit him too. Meaning I kinda feel hes all about the money, rather than marrying me for me..? Doesnt it kinda sound like that too?