help!! med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent2005

Welcome to the Jungle
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello

i'm a med student..i'm hoping some of the ob/gyn residents will read this :)

i just started ob/gyn today. i had surgery as my first rotation, then psychiatry, and now obgyn. i feel, however, very inadequate, pretty much how i've felt throughout third year. my clinical skills just don't seem to to be up to par, and i just can't explain it...anyway...well, i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what residents/attendings may be looking for in an obgyn med student...what would get that honors (A), for instance, instead of the B or C.? as i've said, i had surgery before, but i didn't learn anything from surgery...however, my fear is that, expectedly, my residents/attendings will expect more out of me because i already had surgery and therefore should be pretty quick on the ball with the assessments and plans on gyn surgical patients. of course, from my point of view, that is not the case :) questions: 1) if a patient has had a TAH, can they start on a clear liquid diet although they may not have passed gas but have bowel sounds? it's just that one or two of the patients i saw this morning said they hadn't passed gas, but they were drinking clear liquids. so in my assessment and plan for a post op pt, i wrote "continue npo and start clear liquids in the morning" however, i didn't say "if bowel fxn has returned" and of course, my residents will notice it if it's wrong:confused:

2) what do you expect out of the students during OR time? i don't usually jump in and do things before i am told to do so...however, i feel that sometimes that may reflect badly on me.

ok, this is pretty long

thanks to anyone who answers!!

Members don't see this ad.