Help!! (Midwestern Illinois)

Started by pmarank
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pmarank

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

So I am a sophomore right now and I had a few questions. Does Midwestern Ill require anatomy and anatomy lab? The web site seems to say so but I know a few friends who applied this year who did not have those classes.

Also I recently started considering dentistry so I had a few questions. Is it a good idea for me to study for the DAT this summer if I want to apply by the end of my junior year? I have taken molec. bio, cell bio, genetics, gen chem and orgo so far. Also how competitive are my stats so far: 3.65 gpa (both sci and total) a few volunteering clubs at school, 100 hrs of volunteering at a hospital. I expect to do shadowing this summer. Also how important is research, do most applicants have it? Thanks.
 
Midwestern told me that they require anatomy, physiology, and a lab.

Now they do seem a little flexible about the specifics. (You can do anatomy with a lab, then physiology, or anatomy and physiology with lab. In a pinch, they were even going to let me do comparative anatomy w/ lab along with physio, but I got into the A&P class.) That being said, your friends may have gotten interviews with the assumption that they would take A&P at a later date.

My understanding is that research is less important in dental school admissions as in med school admissions, but still nice to have. I wouldn't study for the DAT until the year you plan to take it. I imagine you have the basics already, and the details you need would be lost by the time the test came around regardless.