Help! My GC Sucks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

asdfhhadsf234

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My worst section by far is GC. I've gone 18/18/20 on the first 3 BC exams and I am really scared for my GC score. I'm using BC and Dat Destroyer for prep but I just get so many questions wrong from stupid mistakes. How do I get better? Where can I get more practice problems/help? I am tempted to purchase QVault for just the GC section.

THANK YOU
 
Like he said, learn from your mistakes. Don't look at your mistakes as a bad thing, use it as an opportunity to never miss questions like those again. If you know you're having trouble on a specific subject like acids and bases or stoichiometry, focus on those sections. On Bootcamp gen chem, they let you choose specific topics to work on. I also agree with DoctorFerrari, you do not need to buy QVault. Use Destroyer as an opportunity to try harder problems. In my opinion, I think your BC scores aren't bad. I averaged 21 and got 28 on that actual DAT. So just keep practicing.
 
18/18/20 on Bootcamp isn't bad. I did 19/18/21 and I got a 24 on the real thing. If you have BC & Destroyer that's more than enough to prepare you; you don't need to purchase QVault. I did like 30 questions on Destroyer & just quit it because I didn't really find it better than Bootcamp. The key is to review what you did wrong to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I don't know how much time you have left, but keep at it with the BC practice tests and review & you should be fine. Take reviewing seriously.

I have 17 days left... any advice on how to review? I usually just take notes on incorrect problems and then study those notes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thats not bad at all! i wouldn't stress out about it- i was in the exact same position making stupid mistakes on practice tests i.e. messing up decimals, rushing through questions and not answering the actual question, etc... i was consistently getting 19s and 20s on my BC practice tests. took the DAT today and got a 22 in gen chem! you will be fine, just be confident.

but seriously, on the exam u will so focused you won't make those types of stupid mistakes.
 
Don't be discouraged. I started with chad's video because chem was my weakest subject in undergrad. Then I moved onto Destroyer and finally BC. But I made stupid mistakes along the way too for BC and ended up with a 27 in chem on the real thing. Just take every question one step at a time. Concepts are always the most important.