Help narrowing down colleges

DearSky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in about a month and a half, applications for colleges are going to be sent in. I created a list of colleges, but other than my number 1 choice - I don't know what else to put as my goal and back-up colleges.
COLLEGE LIST;

From the college I want to go most, to least
- University of the Pacific; Pre-dental
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine

Other colleges I'm considering applying to:
- UC Santa Cruz
- UC San Diego
- UC Santa Barbara
- University of Southern California

Planned Majors:
- Biological sciences; cell biology; molecular - something in the field of Biology
- Chemistry; Biochemistry
- Psychology

MY STATS;
9th Grade: Earth Science, Skills for Living, English 1, Keyboarding, Beginning Foods and Nutricion, Health, Spanish 2, P.E., Child Development, Algebra
10th Grade: Geometry, Algebra 2, English 2, P.E., Spanish 3, Biology, AP World History
11th Grade: Precalculus, AP English Language/Composition, AP Biology, U.S. History, ROP Health Core, Chemistry
12th Grade: AP Calculus AB, AP Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology, English 4, Ceramics, Economics, American Government, Health Internship

*Note: My school only offers AP; there is no honors or IB courses available. During my 9th~11th grade years, we were on 4x4 block schedule but my school changed their scheduling to A/B.

GPA:
Un-weighted: 3.7
Weighted: 3.9
I know, it's average..

Class Rank:
I don't exactly, but I remember calculating it was in the top 5% percentile.

SAT:
1. CR 510, M 610, W 600
2. Going to retake in November, and December (if colleges will take it)

SAT IIs
Korean: 760
Math IIC: Taking in October
Biology M: Taking in October

Volunteer/Extra Curricular Activies:
- Soroptimist Club, 2 years
- Academic Decathalon, 2 years
- Christian Club
- National Honors' Society
- California Scholastic Federation
- Medical Center Volunteer, over 50 hours

AP Exams:
World History 2
English Language 3
Biology 4
QUESTIONS;
1. What are my chances in getting into each college?
2a. What other schools - in California - should I consider applying to if I'm going to major in Biology (as a pre-dent student)?
2b. What schools - in California - should I consider applying to as "safety" colleges?
2c. What schools, or should I even, try applying to the prestigious schools like UC Berekeley, Stanford, etc?

Thank you very much! :)

I hope threads like these are allowed; if it isn't, feel free to delete/close. ^^;

Members don't see this ad.

Your SAT scores are weak a 510 CR is not that hot, you definitely need to retake it. I suggest applying to SAT optional Liberal arts schools as your GPA and rank are good but SAT is not. For safety schools apply to SAT optional LACs & CSU schools.

Last edited:
Your SAT scores are weak a 510 CR is not that hot, you definitely need to retake it. I suggest applying to SAT optional Liberal arts schools as your SAT and rank are good but SAT is not. For safety schools apply to SAT optional LACs & CSU schools.
He of course means GPA and rank :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback! :D

I'm not really interested in attending a liberal arts school, like devry and heald. Most of them don't offer programs for Dental - just dental assistant. I can't see myself attending a LAS.

I'll be looking into some CSU's though.

By SAT-optional liberal arts colleges, people are usually talking about small colleges without associated graduate-level programs but with traditional liberal arts curricula - schools like Middlebury, Bowdoin, and Bates. Not career colleges like Devry.

Yeah, UOP is my number one choice. The UCs are my goals if I can't get into UOP's pre-dental program. The CSUs are my fall-backs. Then my last resort is the community college transfer pathway.

The SAT worries me.. ):

Take the ACT instead of a retake on SAT. You may find that you will score better on it than the SAT.

The ACT is accepted everywhere, even places like Harvard, in lieu of the SAT.

Just to throw a wrench in the works - if you are thinking of any professional/post graduate work at all (especially medical school), try to go with a school that will provide you with the lowest cost of attendance. This may not seem important now, but if you take out loans to attend a private school in undergrad it will follow you throughout post-grad and add up to quite a bit.

Just to throw a wrench in the works - if you are thinking of any professional/post graduate work at all (especially medical school), try to go with a school that will provide you with the lowest cost of attendance. This may not seem important now, but if you take out loans to attend a private school in undergrad it will follow you throughout post-grad and add up to quite a bit.

I totally agree with this, too.

The path to the MD degree is very expensive. Start out on the right foot with as low cost a college education as you can get.

your SAT scores arent so bad...1720 (if i counted right) is much higher than the national average. Your EC's (though you could have done more) and GPA/Rank should make some type of a better balance. Look into applying to some schools like occidental, pepperdine, and what have you got to lose with applying to UCLA or UCB?

Stanford, sorry to say you might not have any chance with. Getting a 700+ on math 2c and bio (with a 4 on the AP....you should have about a 710-730 on the SATII) will definitely help your scores. Make sure you have good recommendations and PS.

(if you take the SAT again try to max your math score...i suck at CR and got around 500 like you, but my math score was 700+ and my writing score was 600+ so it made some type of a balance there too)

your SAT scores arent so bad...1720 (if i counted right) is much higher than the national average. Your EC's (though you could have done more) and GPA/Rank should make some type of a better balance. Look into applying to some schools like occidental, pepperdine, and what have you got to lose with applying to UCLA or UCB?

Stanford, sorry to say you might not have any chance with. Getting a 700+ on math 2c and bio (with a 4 on the AP....you should have about a 710-730 on the SATII) will definitely help your scores. Make sure you have good recommendations and PS.

(if you take the SAT again try to max your math score...i suck at CR and got around 500 like you, but my math score was 700+ and my writing score was 600+ so it made some type of a balance there too)

The SAT may be above the national average, but the national average shouldn't be what you should be comparing your own score to. The national average is like a 1500, and that's a score people would have a really hard time getting into their regular state school with. The OP hasn't said in his post that he is considering Stanford, either.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I'm not considering Stanford - it's not just about getting in, but graduating at the top of your class for graduate school. That's how I look at it anyways.

I'm re-taking the SATs in November, and again in December (possibly).

I've been looking at the CSUs but I'm not sure which ones I want to apply to. If I end up attending a CSU, I want to transfer into a UC or a private school. Then again, there's programs like community college (2 years), which guarentees a transfer into a UC.. Does anyone know which way is more secure or best?

I might have missed this, but I didn't see UC Berkeley. I would highly recommend applying. Because you might change your mind about your career choice once you start college, I would broaden your application and not stick so much to UOP. Good luck!