Help Narrowing Down School List (522/3.89)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_a_lil_thicc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA = 3.89
    2. sGPA = 3.89
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 522 (131/130/131/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Oregon Permanent Resident (USA/Canada Dual-citizen)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Canadian undergraduate institution
    2. BScH + MSc (4+1) program
      1. Completed BScH in April of 2020
      2. Planned completion of MSc between May 2020 and April 2021
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Campus emergency response team (volunteer) (MME) - 275 hours (+350 predicted)
    2. Urology Clinical Research Associate (high patient interaction) (paid) - 537 hours
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Bladder Cancer Immunology Research (MME) - 2,180 hours over three years, in two different basic science labs (+2,080 predicted hours for completion of 1 year MSc degree in the next year)
      1. Two publications (2nd author and 4th author in relatively low-impact, but field specific journals)
      2. Five first-author abstracts leading to:
        1. Four poster presentations (two institution-level, one national-level, and one international-level)
        2. One oral presentation (national-level)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. Urology shadowing experience - 1 doctor, 81 hours
      1. Shadowed in OR, outpatient cystoscopy clinic, and consult/follow-up clinic
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Increasing leadership roles in School's Awareness of Bladder Cancer Club - 185 hours over three years
    2. Founding member + increasing leadership roles in Vision loss/vision impairment club - 432 hours over four years
  10. Work Experiences (used to pay for own university)
    1. School Residence Front Desk Representative - 1,687 hours over three years (+400 predicted hours)
    2. Random Job in summer after first year - 595 hours
  11. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Bodybuilding (MME) - 2292 hours over 4 years (+828 predicted hours)
    2. Intramural/Extracurricular sports - 382 hours over 4 years (+138 predicted hours)
  12. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Named prize for top mark in Anatomy ($700)
    2. Best Undergraduate Research Thesis Award
    3. 3rd place oral presentation at national level conference
    4. Dean's honor list - all four years of undergrad
    5. Merit Scholarship
  13. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Summary: Born and raised in Oregon, USA. Moved to Canada for undergrad because cheap and far away from family. Between jobs and merit scholarship, paid for own university experience. Just finished undergrad and currently working on masters degree. Decent amount of research experience; potentially lacking in both clinical and non-clinical volunteering. Currently only panning on applying to USA MD schools this cycle. Submitted for AMCAS verification with only one school (Oregon Health Sciences University). Want to apply to a total of ~20 schools. Current list is 33 schools, very top heavy. Need help narrowing down this list to reasonable schools. Certainly open to suggestions of other schools to add.
School List:

Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
New York University Grossman School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Stanford University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Yale School of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Tufts University School of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Florida College of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can’t just look at gpa and mcat stats.
What are your answers for items 6-12?

Can’t just look at gpa and mcat stats.
What are your answers for items 6-12?

Sorry, I accidentally hit post before I had finished typing out the rest of my answers. I've now edited my post to include the rest of the relevant information :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need apply to 50+ schools with your stats. You could remove U Florida since you are not a Florida resident. You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add any of these schools:
Rochester
Miami
Tulane
Kaiser
Ohio State
Cincinnati

You do not need apply to 50+ schools with your stats. You could remove U Florida since you are not a Florida resident. You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add any of these schools:
Rochester
Miami
Tulane
Kaiser
Ohio State
Cincinnati

My apologies, I meant that I wanted to narrow down my list from 33 schools to ~20 schools, not add 19 more to the list that I already have. I have edited my original post to reflect this.

With that in mind, would you still recommend adding the above schools?

You could receive interviews at any of the schools on your list but top 20 schools are unpredictable when it comes to interviews. The schools I listed are ones where you would more than competitive for an interview so add any that appeal to you.

Reactions: 1 user
You could receive interviews at any of the schools on your list but top 20 schools are unpredictable when it comes to interviews. The schools I listed are ones where you would more than competitive for an interview so add any that appeal to you.
Fantastic, thanks for your advice :)

Where ideally do want to be geographically?
Unless you have contradictory reasons....

...Out of Faha’s suggestions, I’d only add Kaiser and Miami.
Remove Western Michigan, Dartmouth, Einstein, USF Morsani, Univ Florida, Brown, Tufts, Boston Univ.

If you don’t love the geography, Or If you want to pare back further, then also Remove: Duke, Baylor (low yield for out of state), Miami, Pitt, Mayo

You might want to consider removing schools with very strong social justice that ‘require’ high amounts of non clinical volunteering for the underserved. You have great ECs but I think I saw this missing. (You can make a post for those more familiar to list these schools from the T30)

which schools in general have a very strong social justice that require high amounts of non clinical volunteering for the underserved ?

Where ideally do want to be geographically?
Unless you have contradictory reasons....

...Out of Faha’s suggestions, I’d only add Kaiser and Miami.
Remove Western Michigan, Dartmouth, Einstein, USF Morsani, Univ Florida, Brown, Tufts, Boston Univ.

If you don’t love the geography, Or If you want to pare back further, then also Remove: Duke, Baylor (low yield for out of state), Miami, Pitt, Mayo

You might want to consider removing schools with very strong social justice that ‘require’ high amounts of non clinical volunteering for the underserved. You have great ECs but I think I saw this missing. (You can make a post for those more familiar to list these schools from the T30)

That's all excellent advice, thank you so much!

To be honest, I'm not too fussy about geographic location at this point... I'm still trying to broaden my world view and figure out what I really like (only lived in two cities for any real length of time).

I agree with you about "removing schools with very strong social justice" missions. I realize that is an aspect of my application that is lacking. From my understanding that would be schools like Brown? Are there any other schools with particularly 'serving-the-underserved'-esque missions that I should remove from my list? At this point I am primarily interested in more research-heavy mission schools.

Thanks again for all of your help!

That's all excellent advice, thank you so much!

To be honest, I'm not too fussy about geographic location at this point... I'm still trying to broaden my world view and figure out what I really like (only lived in two cities for any real length of time).

I agree with you about "removing schools with very strong social justice" missions. I realize that is an aspect of my application that is lacking. From my understanding that would be schools like Brown? Are there any other schools with particularly 'serving-the-underserved'-esque missions that I should remove from my list? At this point I am primarily interested in more research-heavy mission schools.

Thanks again for all of your help!
I know these type of schools that emphasize volunteering for the underserved, as well as research heavy schools. I don’t know the answers within the T30 which is why I suggested to start a new thread asking.