Help NBDE Part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goalie2918

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed my NBDE part 1 with a score of 73. I really need to pass this next time since I'm in school. I used youtube and the phone application. My weakest sections were biochemistry/physiology and microbiology/pathology. Does anyone have any good resources for those? I was going to try the dental decks this time around. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey goalie,

Hang in there! It’s a tough test and you were super close! Dental Decks can be good, I thought it was a lot of info and kinda spread about. I would recommend purchasing the ASDA released tests and studying off of those. You’ll get an idea of the high yield questions from there and they can also help you gauge how well you are doing. Just keep in mind those tests are a bit easier than the actual test so if you’re scoring 70’s on those tests, you can expect to score to be in the 60s.

For biochem, I liked the youtube series from the pass the NBDE series. That guys really focused on high yield information. If you study his stuff and go through the ASDA tests you should be solid for that section.

For microbio, I really liked the sketchymicro series. They had a LOT of really good info and it was kind of a fun way to learn it. Just google sketchymicro and you should find some resources. I would also use the ASDA tests to see the high yield stuff.

I would say if you’re really solid on anatamy and dental anatomy, keep it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey goalie,

Hang in there! It’s a tough test and you were super close! Dental Decks can be good, I thought it was a lot of info and kinda spread about. I would recommend purchasing the ASDA released tests and studying off of those. You’ll get an idea of the high yield questions from there and they can also help you gauge how well you are doing. Just keep in mind those tests are a bit easier than the actual test so if you’re scoring 70’s on those tests, you can expect to score to be in the 60s.

For biochem, I liked the youtube series from the pass the NBDE series. That guys really focused on high yield information. If you study his stuff and go through the ASDA tests you should be solid for that section.

For microbio, I really liked the sketchymicro series. They had a LOT of really good info and it was kind of a fun way to learn it. Just google sketchymicro and you should find some resources. I would also use the ASDA tests to see the high yield stuff.

Thanks! I used their stuff for dental anatomy and occlusion and that was my best section. My anatomy score could be higher. Do you think first aid is the best for the anatomy section?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First Aid is a good resource. I would look at it as a good reference, but I personally wouldnt try to go cover to cover with it for the anatomy section, but for Dental Anatomy I would know it by heart. I would go through ASDA tests, see where my weak areas are, focus on studying those sections (i.e. cranial nerves, bony landmarks, blood supply) and then retake the tests until I was scoring 70+.

Also, here’s another resource of things to know for the anatomy section:
Anatomy Block 2 « Diary of a Caribbean Med Student

Hey goalie,

Hi! which tests did you use to test yourself?

Hi! which tests did you use to test yourself?

I used the ASDA reprinted tests and the NBDE Mastery App mostly. I made sure I was scoring above 70 in each category in the ASDA tests (except Dental Anatomy I was shooting for 85-90). On the App, I was trying to shoot for 75-80% in most sections.

Hey guys, can someone help me to understand how scores can be read? Someon got Anat Corr 47/100, bio 50/100, micor 58/100 and D-Anat 50/100 but the score is 70. What does it mean?