Help... Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I know that this question has been asked over and over, but I really need your input. I am going to apply to dental schools this summer and just took the DAT. My scores were: Bio-19, Gen Chem-17, Orgo-18, TS-18 PAT-18, RC-18, QR-15:( for an AA of 17. I am actually a foreigner and have been living in the US since 2001. I was a chem major in college and have an overall GPA of 3.2 and science GPA of 3.0. I graduated from a well known college last year and am currently working at a research lab. My question is:hungover:o I even have a shot with this DAT score? (especially with that QR??) If so, in what schools do you think would I be a competitive enough candidate? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances are slim to none and it's not just because of your QR score. Your stats are below average in every area. Sorry to be so grim, but you should really focus on retaking the DAT.

I really think that you should think about retaking the DAT. I'm sure you dont want retake it but 20+ on the DAT will increase your chance considerably. GL!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to be sorry.. I've read about the average DAT and GPAs needed for most schools and i've seen that they want ~19s and 20s in the DAT as well as higher than 3.0 or 3.2 GPAs. But then again, I thought since these are only average scores, there must be students who got in and have lower (as well as higher) stats. May be i'm wrong....
P.S Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.:) I'm seriously thinking about retaking the DAT once again.:)

No need to be sorry.. I've read about the average DAT and GPAs needed for most schools and i've seen that they want ~19s and 20s in the DAT as well as higher than 3.0 or 3.2 GPAs. But then again, I thought since these are only average scores, there must be students who got in and have lower (as well as higher) stats. May be i'm wrong....
P.S Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.:) I'm seriously thinking about retaking the DAT once again.:)
You're right, it's certainly possible. But the odds are stacked against you. Usually I'd recommend to someone with low scores or GPA to apply to a ton of schools. But you have both (and not just a bit under average but significantly). If you're really determined to apply this cycle you should apply to 10 schools that have lower student average stats. Don't include Howard or Meharry unless you're 1. black or 2. disadvantaged. Go for schools with low stats and large class sizes (like NYU). At the same time, study for and reatke the DAT this summer. You should be able to improve on those scores quite easily with 2 months of dedicated studying. Good luck!

Thx for the advice Bounty101. My next question would then be: Is it Ok to apply on May 15th and retake the DAT around mid July? Or should I just wait applying until I'm done with retaking the DAT? (sorry for the multiple question..):)