Help Needed:Compounding Pharmacy Assignment/Project do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NVPTJR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.I am a current Pharmacy Technician student and I have an assignment/project do in a few days that is based around me interviewing someone who currently is or was at one time involved in the field of compounding pharmacy.I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this task here on Student Doctor being it that I haven't the time to do this in person because of such factors as me going to school plus going to work on top of that I have to utilize public transportation,and yes it is permitted by my instructor to conduct this interview via the internet on a message board.

The rules are simple enough I believe.I ask a series of questions and whoever is capable of responding to said questions the best I'll choose to use the answers of and please be as detailed as possible for there is a page limit to this report.

On a side note.Any questions involving personal information such as salary and things of that nature may be fabricated .Thank you all in advance for your time.Sincerely NVPTJR.

Here are the questions as followed.

1.What qualifications are necessary to be involved in this field?

2.If you don't mind my asking.What is the location you are employed at or were employed at?

3.How do you create contacts and apply for positions in this field?

4.What type of salary is available and what other types of benefits are provided?

5.What type of training is expected or provided?

6.What types of advancement opportunities are allowed?

7.What are the risk involved?

8.Why did you choose this particular profession?

9.Why is it challenging?

10.What exactly is compounding pharmaceuticals?

11.How is compounding pharmaceuticals different from drug manufacturing?

12.Who regulates compounding pharmacies?

13.Do compounding pharmacies follow the same regulations as drug manufacturers?

14.How would a patient know if their medication has been compounded?

Members don't see this ad.

So you expect everyone to write out essay answers to your questions, and then you are going to pick which one you like the best. How inefficient....ya know, most people here, are pretty busy too. How these things work, you find 1 pharmacist who is willing to answer your questions, and then you use those answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you expect everyone to write out essay answers to your questions, and then you are going to pick which one you like the best. How inefficient....ya know, most people here, are pretty busy too. How these things work, you find 1 pharmacist who is willing to answer your questions, and then you use those answers.

I respectfully disagree. What he needs to do is find an upperclassman who has his answers somewhere.

I have been a compounding pharm tech since August. I have a B.S. in chemistry, and I called up the pharmacy to do some shadowing once I decided I wanted to become a pharmacist. I wasn't expecting to get a pharmacy job because I didn't have a licence or whatever, but my boss offered me a job because I was a chemist! So currently I am still a tech-in-training and working on my required hours. I live in Baton Rouge, LA. I would recommend just calling around and talking to local pharmacists to see who and what they know about compounding. I have an hourly salary of $14 an hour because I have a chemistry background, and we have a training checklist of different compounds and equipment to master after preparations (capsules, ointments, gels, suspensions, EMP, mill, homogenizer, etc). Depending on what you compound, you can be at risk for exposure to certain hazardous chemicals--for example, we do alot of hormone replacement therapy meds. While I work in a powder hood, you still can be exposed when mixing out of the hood and getting it on your skin. I chose to do this because it gave me insight into a world of pharmacy I wasn't familiar with and I think it will give me an advantage when I enter pharmacy school next year. I started off working as a cashier and taking refills. Now I am making prep, and soon I will be a dispensing tech and move up into working in a sterile environment for preparations such as IV, injections, and eye drops. It is challenging in that I am not familiar with everything I make, and some meds take a long time to make and patients want them NOW! We have a 3 day refill policy but they are always conveniently "going out of town" or call on their last day of meds. I enjoy it though, and I have learned alot about what goes into medications. We are accredited by PCCA? I believe and we have annual reviews. We cannot make anything that is commercially available, but we can if it needs a different strength or form of administration (suppositories vs pills, etc). Our pharmacy only does compounding, so our patients know their prescriptions are specially made by the recommendation of their doctor.

FYI, PCCA does not provide accreditation only PCAB can provide such service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD