Help needed on finding a distance biochemistry course!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyndia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I graduated with a BSc in Animal Science last year, spent this year completing a masters in infectious diseases, and am planning to apply to vet school this coming cycle. I was pretty good about completing my pre-vet requirements in undergrad because I knew from the beginning what schools I wanted to apply to. However, I missed out on literally one credit... For biochemistry, I only completed a 2 credit class - long story short, I had enrolled in an additional 3 credit class but had to drop it for a different class I needed my senior year (yeah, stupid I know to wait till the end). I didn't worry at the time and just assumed I would find the time to take a class at a nearby college, but just didn't get the chance to because of how time consuming my masters has been. In any case, I'm going to be in Europe this coming year, so I really have no idea how I'll complete the requirement. I assume an online course from the states might be the best way since the academic system is so different abroad. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good course I could try to enroll in?

Any helpful comments would be super appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UC Berkeley Extension
X105
University of Minnesota Twin Cities
BIOL 3021
University of New England
DPPP 368

The first two are 3 credit classes, the last one is 4. I haven't actually taken any of them, but they are the classes that MSU suggests so I'm assuming that they are good quality classes.

I am taking mine right now through Kansas State University online. It is $1100.00.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to be in Europe just in the summer/fall? Otherwise, if you're there into the winter/spring, there will be problems with interviews unless you're willing to fly back to the US on very short notice. (Or unless you're only going to apply to schools that don't interview...?)

And keep in mind that for some/most schools, you can have a prereq still left to take over the spring semester, so if you'll be back then, that could also be an option.

UC Berkeley Extension
X105
University of Minnesota Twin Cities
BIOL 3021

University of New England
DPPP 368

The first two are 3 credit classes, the last one is 4. I haven't actually taken any of them, but they are the classes that MSU suggests so I'm assuming that they are good quality classes.

I took the one through the U of MN - it went well. Basically had recorded lectures/powerpoint slides that you can watch and take notes from. The professor was pretty amusing as well. Of the 4 online courses I've taken it was definitely the easiest for me to learn from - due to the recorded lectures vs. just typed up notes from the professor. It's kind of pricey though, might want to shop around.

I took mine online through Colorado State University. The lectures were recorded from his on-site class. I think it was a little over $1,000 when I took it. The exams are all proctored through Proctor U (an online proctoring service) and that is included in the tuition cost.

Oregon State has a fabulous professor! I took mine online from there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm not going to be back in the spring unfortunately, I was just planning to fly back for a couple weeks around interview time. The price doesn't seem too terrible, I was expecting a lot worse as an OOS, though the cheaper the course the better! My main concern was getting proctored for exams abroad, so I'm intrigued by Proctor U. Am I able to do that completely online? Or would I still need to find a school or something to proctor me?

Edit - Ahh, just took a look at the ProctorU website, it's such a fantastic idea! I think CSU's course might be the one I'll take if ProctorU is pretty easy to use. Do any of the other courses allow something like that or do they require you to set up a proctor someplace?

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm not going to be back in the spring unfortunately, I was just planning to fly back for a couple weeks around interview time. The price doesn't seem too terrible, I was expecting a lot worse as an OOS, though the cheaper the course the better! My main concern was getting proctored for exams abroad, so I'm intrigued by Proctor U. Am I able to do that completely online? Or would I still need to find a school or something to proctor me?

Edit - Ahh, just took a look at the ProctorU website, it's such a fantastic idea! I think CSU's course might be the one I'll take if ProctorU is pretty easy to use. Do any of the other courses allow something like that or do they require you to set up a proctor someplace?

Oregon State used Proctor U :thumbup:

good, taking mine right now through Kansas State University online
6.gif

ProctorU is awesome! I took the Biochemistry course at CSU this spring and highly recommend it! The lectures were really well done and exams reasonable.

I am now taking animal nutrition at NC State. At first their proctor request form denied me when I requested to use ProctorU. But I emailed a real person and they agreed to let me use it. The exam fees ($25 a pop) are not included in the course fees like CSU though.

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but just another question - are there any advanced biochemistry courses that can be taken online?

I've pretty much settled on taking the CSU course in the spring since it's 4 credits, but after some thinking, I've decided a more advanced biochem course might reflect better for my app, especially considering I have 2 credits worth already?