help needed pls!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medscholhopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is all kinds of messed up at the moment. let me start from the begining.

I started off UG in microbiology with a subpar UG gpa <3.0, under the guidance of advisors, i went for an SMP and did relatively well compared to my UG record. I applied this year to med school thinking UG was a long time ago, and this SMP is a better representation of my academic abilities. Well, i think i may have been wrong because i have not received one interview. I kinda have the feeling dat i won't be getting in....sucks!!!!

I know my problem is my UG gpa..cos honestly it looked like crap on my AMCAS app.. My question is are there any post bacc programs that cater to individuals with a science background WITH linkages to a med school. So far all i have is Wake forest, Drexel, and medpath from ohio state. Most linkage programs look at individuals who have no science background...

In my opinion getting another SMP is pointless except it has a definate linkage program...

So in conclusion, I am looking for a post bac that is
A) geared towards improving gpa for those of us that have a background in science WITH a linkage program to med school... either dat or I am off to the islands!!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Penn has a program for those who have done the pre-reqs. Its known as Special Sciences Program.

They have two links - one to UMDNJ-RWJ and one to Philadelphia COM (PCOM).

All their other links are only open to prehealth (havent done prereqs) students

If you don't mind me asking I would be interested in your stats. How good was your SMP grade? How was your MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
My situation is all kinds of messed up at the moment. let me start from the begining.

I started off UG in microbiology with a subpar UG gpa <3.0, under the guidance of advisors, i went for an SMP and did relatively well compared to my UG record. I applied this year to med school thinking UG was a long time ago, and this SMP is a better representation of my academic abilities. Well, i think i may have been wrong because i have not received one interview. I kinda have the feeling dat i won't be getting in....sucks!!!!

What SMP did you go to ?? I would find it very hard to get into a competitive SMP with a less than 3.0 GPA. You're activities or MCAT scores might also play a huge factor in getting an interview. I had a 30/3.3 and was lucky enough to get an interview from UCLA last year.

I know my problem is my UG gpa..cos honestly it looked like crap on my AMCAS app.. My question is are there any post bacc programs that cater to individuals with a science background WITH linkages to a med school. So far all i have is Wake forest, Drexel, and medpath from ohio state. Most linkage programs look at individuals who have no science background...

Wake Forest, Drexel, and Ohio State program caters to bring diversity to the field of medicine, so it takes into consideration your race, socio-economic status, and life experience into their selection process. If you do not fit their criteria, you will have a hard time getting an interview.

In my opinion getting another SMP is pointless except it has a definate linkage program...

So in conclusion, I am looking for a post bac that is
A) geared towards improving gpa for those of us that have a background in science WITH a linkage program to med school... either dat or I am off to the islands!!!

Thanks
I would suggest taking UG classes until your GPA is in the decent range such as >3.0. That could be the reason why you're getting screened out. Also, any most SMP program that I know of gives an advantage in their medical school application process, for ex: Tufts and Drexel gives their SMP students interview if you finish above a certain GPA.

actually i have finished the SMP with a 3.60, my mcat is 26, and i am a urm so i have considered all the programs mentioned above.. I do have unique circumstances as far as my life goes... i think this is why i got in the SMP in the first place considering my UG... I would rather not say the smp, it mite give away my identity

I am not too excited about the prospect of just takin UG classes, this is a cost and time thing for me as i have alreay invested a nice bundle on the SMP and i am getting older, so begining a family is very important to me... i guess i have some soul searching and decisions to make!..

Thank u all for your comments and resources pls keep em comimg!

It's not your grades, it's your MCAT. Even being a URM, 26 is low. You'd see more action with a 28+

I'm going to agree with the MCAT bit. I think that a 3.6 in an SMP where you take classes with the med students is pretty good, granted I am still only a senior so I don't know as much as some other people on here. Take 3 months to study for the MCAT, pour your heart and soul into it, and get a 30+. 30+ is definitely doable.

actually i have finished the SMP with a 3.60, my mcat is 26, and i am a urm so i have considered all the programs mentioned above.. I do have unique circumstances as far as my life goes... i think this is why i got in the SMP in the first place considering my UG... I would rather not say the smp, it mite give away my identity

I am not too excited about the prospect of just takin UG classes, this is a cost and time thing for me as i have alreay invested a nice bundle on the SMP and i am getting older, so begining a family is very important to me... i guess i have some soul searching and decisions to make!..

Thank u all for your comments and resources pls keep em comimg!

Don't give up hope, it is still to early to worry about not getting an interview. I know some people who got interview in May and still got in.