Handsome

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
33
0
Amman, Jordan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi all,
After long waiting I got 2 interviews, one at Bronx-Leb, NY, and the second at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital (Cook County). I cancelled that of Bronx and dunno what's my chance to match at cook county. Is it cost effective to travel for one interview? Is it a good hospital? what shall I do to increase my chances of matching on one interview?

My CV:
step1: 93 (223)
step2: 96 (233)
CS: passed on 2nd attempt
doing 1 year international transitional residency in IM
doing research
many extracurricular activities

I appreciate any add on. Thanks
 

zoondel

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2007
58
3
NY Metro
Status
Attending Physician
I'm confused by your question.

You received only 2 interview offers and actually cancelled one of them?
Why?
Do you want to do a residency in the US?
If so, then of course you should travel to the interview, otherwise, you won't get spot.
 

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
3,085
275
Status
Attending Physician
Your chances are very poor with 1 interview and being IMG with average stats. Nothing you can do to change that.

Next time, apply early and broadly and don't cancel interviews. :rolleyes:
 
About the Ads

EternalMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
357
0
mid-west
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi all,
After long waiting I got 2 interviews, one at Bronx-Leb, NY, and the second at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital (Cook County). I cancelled that of Bronx and dunno what's my chance to match at cook county. Is it cost effective to travel for one interview? Is it a good hospital? what shall I do to increase my chances of matching on one interview?
Contrary to your thread title, you received TWO interviews but for some reason canceled one leaving you to wonder whether you will match or not. Then, your follow up question is if its COST EFFECTIVE?? I don't really understand the logic behind your actions. Here are some questions you should probably answer first: Is it cost effective to wait another year to get more interviews? is it cost effective to have to re-apply next year and pay more money to do so? is it cost effective for you to HAVE to fly out next year to do the same? (the answer to all of those is NO)

I don't know whether you did any clinical rotations/observerships in the US but if you haven't, your stats make it very difficult for you to match with only one place to rank. I suppose there is always a chance (but its a very slim chance) of matching but you might be better off spending the next year rotating at one place, making connections and reapplying. That would increase your chances but once again, not guarantee anything. I guess I have to question your desire/dedication to come to the US when you are unsure of whether you want to fly out for your ONLY interview. If you really wanted to come out here, you would have your flight booked already.
 

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
39,958
28,361
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Assuming you are applying to IM, your chances are not good...

In the publication "Charting outcomes in the Match":

For IM, with only one rank: 255/(255+1035) = about 15% of applicants match. I suspect with your below average USMLE scores (for an FMG) and presumably no USCE or LORs, your chances might be less.

I too am mystified as to why you would cancel an interview. Its expensive to fly here twice, but less than sitting out the year without a job and reapplying next year.
 

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
5,092
53
Status
Attending Physician
I don't understand what you are doing either.

Cook County is probably a pretty good program, from what I have seen. I'll bet you would work hard there but it would probably be a good residency education.

Having failed the Step 2CK may be a red flag/negative in your getting ranked.
 

Handsome

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
33
0
Amman, Jordan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks everybody

I did cancel Bronx-lebanon because I hear that it is bad choice for residency, maybe it is not.
I have 2 month USCE @ UTMB. I have decided to go to cook county and hoping best luck in the match this year for all applicants.
 

thunder hawk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
49
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I dont know if it is related but I know a person who got only one fellowship interview for nephrology at Yale and got matched....so we never know what is in our fate..
 

Doowai

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
1,660
2
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I dont know if it is related but I know a person who got only one fellowship interview for nephrology at Yale and got matched....so we never know what is in our fate..
haha thats true. The chances of getting hit by lightning might be X percent, but for the person who gets hit its 100%
 

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
39,958
28,361
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks everybody

I did cancel Bronx-lebanon because I hear that it is bad choice for residency, maybe it is not.
Seems like a foolish manuever to cancel an interview based on hearsay and not what YOU think. Besides, having two interviews increases your chances of matching. Do you really want to do your residency in the US? As I say, beggars can't be choosers.

I have 2 month USCE @ UTMB. I have decided to go to cook county and hoping best luck in the match this year for all applicants.
The 2 months of USCE will help; hopefully you got some letters of rec from there. Best of luck.
 
About the Ads