HELP Needed Plz... Got one Interview!!!

Handsome

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
33
0
Amman, Jordan
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Hi all,
    After long waiting I got 2 interviews, one at Bronx-Leb, NY, and the second at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital (Cook County). I cancelled that of Bronx and dunno what's my chance to match at cook county. Is it cost effective to travel for one interview? Is it a good hospital? what shall I do to increase my chances of matching on one interview?

    My CV:
    step1: 93 (223)
    step2: 96 (233)
    CS: passed on 2nd attempt
    doing 1 year international transitional residency in IM
    doing research
    many extracurricular activities

    I appreciate any add on. Thanks
     
    About the Ads

    EternalMD

    Full Member
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Feb 4, 2008
    357
    0
    mid-west
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Hi all,
      After long waiting I got 2 interviews, one at Bronx-Leb, NY, and the second at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital (Cook County). I cancelled that of Bronx and dunno what's my chance to match at cook county. Is it cost effective to travel for one interview? Is it a good hospital? what shall I do to increase my chances of matching on one interview?

      Contrary to your thread title, you received TWO interviews but for some reason canceled one leaving you to wonder whether you will match or not. Then, your follow up question is if its COST EFFECTIVE?? I don't really understand the logic behind your actions. Here are some questions you should probably answer first: Is it cost effective to wait another year to get more interviews? is it cost effective to have to re-apply next year and pay more money to do so? is it cost effective for you to HAVE to fly out next year to do the same? (the answer to all of those is NO)

      I don't know whether you did any clinical rotations/observerships in the US but if you haven't, your stats make it very difficult for you to match with only one place to rank. I suppose there is always a chance (but its a very slim chance) of matching but you might be better off spending the next year rotating at one place, making connections and reapplying. That would increase your chances but once again, not guarantee anything. I guess I have to question your desire/dedication to come to the US when you are unsure of whether you want to fly out for your ONLY interview. If you really wanted to come out here, you would have your flight booked already.
       

      Winged Scapula

      Cougariffic!
      Moderator Emeritus
      Verified Expert
      Apr 9, 2000
      39,960
      18,692
      forums.studentdoctor.net
      1. Attending Physician
        Assuming you are applying to IM, your chances are not good...

        In the publication "Charting outcomes in the Match":

        For IM, with only one rank: 255/(255+1035) = about 15% of applicants match. I suspect with your below average USMLE scores (for an FMG) and presumably no USCE or LORs, your chances might be less.

        I too am mystified as to why you would cancel an interview. Its expensive to fly here twice, but less than sitting out the year without a job and reapplying next year.
         

        dragonfly99

        Full Member
        10+ Year Member
        May 15, 2008
        5,090
        49
        1. Attending Physician
          I don't understand what you are doing either.

          Cook County is probably a pretty good program, from what I have seen. I'll bet you would work hard there but it would probably be a good residency education.

          Having failed the Step 2CK may be a red flag/negative in your getting ranked.
           

          Handsome

          Junior Member
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Feb 15, 2006
          33
          0
          Amman, Jordan
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Thanks everybody

            I did cancel Bronx-lebanon because I hear that it is bad choice for residency, maybe it is not.
            I have 2 month USCE @ UTMB. I have decided to go to cook county and hoping best luck in the match this year for all applicants.
             

            Winged Scapula

            Cougariffic!
            Moderator Emeritus
            Verified Expert
            Apr 9, 2000
            39,960
            18,692
            forums.studentdoctor.net
            1. Attending Physician
              Thanks everybody

              I did cancel Bronx-lebanon because I hear that it is bad choice for residency, maybe it is not.

              Seems like a foolish manuever to cancel an interview based on hearsay and not what YOU think. Besides, having two interviews increases your chances of matching. Do you really want to do your residency in the US? As I say, beggars can't be choosers.

              I have 2 month USCE @ UTMB. I have decided to go to cook county and hoping best luck in the match this year for all applicants.

              The 2 months of USCE will help; hopefully you got some letters of rec from there. Best of luck.
               
              About the Ads
              This thread is more than 12 years old.

              Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

              1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.