Help needed with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spenguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick summary:
Cell Bio Major
MCAT: 30+
GPA: 3.2-3.4

Let me know where I should apply (15-25 schools). I really appreciate any help :nailbiting:
I've done a bunch of research on school stats but its hard to estimate where I might get in when my gpa is very low and mcat is pretty high (for DO)
[I have taken biochem, I know a couple schools require it]

I'm applying to
PCOM (both)
VCOM (all)
WVSOM
LECOM (both)
Touro (CA and NY)
UNECOM
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA

Should I apply to these? [Do I even have a chance at these schools (my gpa is holding me back)]
CCOM
DMUCOM
KCUCOM
Western-COMP (both)
NYITCOM
NSUCOM

Maybe applying- I'm not super excited about these schools but if its the only place I get in, I'll go
LMU-DCOM
CUSOM
ACOM
MUCOM

Throwing out
MSUCOM- oos tuition
OUHCOM- 5yr contract
ROWAN/OSUCOM- high in state bias
LUCOM- bad rep

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With that MCAT, The application cycle is yours.

You can apply to any of those. Most of the heavy hitters screen at a 3.25, so you are good. Your MCAT helps out the slightly lower GPA.

I say give any of them a go.

For real you only need like a dozen well picked schools... 15 if you are super paranoid about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that MCAT, The application cycle is yours.
I looked at an acceptance thread from a year or two ago and its seemed like a lot of the people getting into the better DO schools had a 29+ mcat and 3.5+

Thanks

You can apply to any of those. Most of the heavy hitters screen at a 3.25, so you are good. Your MCAT helps out the slightly lower GPA.

I say give any of them a go.

For real you only need like a dozen well picked schools... 15 if you are super paranoid about it.
I am very very paranoid. I'm not doing anything that would dramatically change my app this coming year and don't want to reapply with the same stats

Thanks!

Then I would say add DMU, KCU, and NOVA. MUCOM actually has a decent set up and they will 100% accept you, they are trying to boost their stats, so your MCAT will be welcomed with open arms. If you were to add those 4 schools you would be sitting at 17 schools with a healthy mix of top and low tier. That is more than enough, as you will find once the cycle starts. So if I was in your shoes, I would go with those 17.

Then I would say add DMU, KCU, and NOVA. MUCOM actually has a decent set up and they will 100% accept you, they are trying to boost their stats, so your MCAT will be welcomed with open arms. If you were to add those 4 schools you would be sitting at 17 schools with a healthy mix of top and low tier. That is more than enough, as you will find once the cycle starts. So if I was in your shoes, I would go with those 17.
Thanks!!!! :)