help needed..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentorule

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
this is my second CAAPID cycle, I applied last year and got no interviews. my stats are GPA 2.65,TOEFL 105,Part 1 & 2. 3 months observership and 3 months assistantship. compared to last cycle I have added part 2,3 months of assistantship with a US dentist and atleast 6 more CDE programs. I already had 3 years of work experience from home country fr last cycle,but while doing the CAAPID application I forgot to add my own pvt practice experience last year and that came to appear as a break. I want to know what are my chances with the current stats.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is so low, that I think, you need to apply to most unpopular and expensive schools only. Would be great if you explain in you personal statement why you have such a low GPA, create a good excuse. The thing is - dental schools assess your ability to finish the program successfully and your GPA says that you barely got there. Please do not get offended, I just wanted to give you a good advise with the information provided

the thing is my avg is 63% & I have distinction in DA-DH. and honors in Community Dentistry and Conservative-Endodontics. I have made it a point to mention it in my CV.But I donot understand my low GPA.is it bcos I m nt from any popular university?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, just low grades. You may ask agency, which did an assessment how they calculate GPA. They pretty much give you your average grade

are u suggesting I send fr re evaluation? thanks fr suggestion by the way.

You need to know how they calculate to figure out that there is a problem. Lets say, I was getting mostly As and Bs, so my GPA is above average even with a large number of subjects with pass/fail grade. If in your case you have the same as me grades, of course approximately, but GPA is low - then there is a problem. My evaluation was done by ECE sometime at the end of 2009. For example, if A=4.0 and B 3.0 and your grades is 5 As and 5 Bs, then your GPA would be 5x4+5x3 all devided by 10= 3.5. Another situation - all above grades and 10 of pass/fail, which give you 0 points
5x4+5x3/20 gives you GPA of 1.75. In my case pass/fail grades were ignored and only grades counted
I am not sure if reevaluation would help, just know that ECE now gives best and comprehensive GPA