Help needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt309

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, i know very little about the application system to DO schools, so I have a few questions and would appreciate any help.

What is the deadline to submit primary applications to DO schools and on which website is this done? Does anybody have a list of DO schools that accept international students? I tried searching the forums but could not find any.

I have applied to allopathic schools thus far and have not had any interviews. If it's not too late I would like to try DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

google type: aacomas

good luck !!

Apply soon as possible, dont listen to anyone about being too late.

Okay, i know very little about the application system to DO schools, so I have a few questions and would appreciate any help.

What is the deadline to submit primary applications to DO schools and on which website is this done? Does anybody have a list of DO schools that accept international students? I tried searching the forums but could not find any.

I have applied to allopathic schools thus far and have not had any interviews. If it's not too late I would like to try DO schools.

You should've prepared yourself for this possibility as an undergraduate. If you want to know DO school deadlines, do some personal research. I'm sure you learned how to in college.

I'm feeling nice this morning for some reason, so I'll help you out a little n00b. Ok, first, you have to apply through the AACOM just like you did through AAMC. It will take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to do get verified once all your transcripts and money are in. You can do that here, AACOMAS. There will be a whole bunch of information contained in the links on that page, including (but not limited to) - the link to the application, the link to what Osteopathic medicine is, how it started, etc. Do some reading.

Are you applying DO just because you havent heard anything MD wise? Please, please, please do some research first, because the majority of us here feel very strongly about some MD/DO issues and would wish that you be informed about your decision to go to a DO school and not just use it as a backup as some applicants invariably will. Where are you applying from? Because you will have to have an LOR from a physician and most of the DO schools will require that the letter be from a DO. Do you have and Osteopathic physicians where you live? If not, you better find one to shadow so they can write you an LOR.

That should be a good start, do some reading and ask any of the other questions you might have.

P.s. The deadlines for primaries are usually in January or February for the DO schools, but some could be sooner. You'll have to look at each school and see what they say. Check out the AACOM link I gave you for the schools' websites and you can read through their admissions pages for each one you are interested in. Good luck. :)