Help on interpreting this RX (p1 question)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCCpharm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading my pharmaceutical calculations book and I'm on the section for interpreting prescriptions. What does this mean? The book seems unclear.

"M.ft. cap. i D.T.D. #30"

My interpretation is: Mix and make capsules. Give 30 such doses.

But I'm clueless on how "i" before the D.T.D. is interpreted.

Any help with this is really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reading my pharmaceutical calculations book and I'm on the section for interpreting prescriptions. What does this mean? The book seems unclear.

"M.ft. cap. i D.T.D. #30"

My interpretation is: Mix and make capsules. Give 30 such doses.

But I'm clueless on how "i" before the D.T.D. is interpreted.

Any help with this is really appreciated!

When do you graduate, 1971?

What book do you have?

Mine has lots of DTD interpretations, but none have a number/numeral in front of DTD. Maybe it's a typo.

You might ask Epic too, since he graduated in 1912.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using Pharmaceutical Calculations 12th edition by Howard C. Answel and Mitchell J. Stoklosa. The prescription example is on pg. 61. Maybe it is a typo. I hate typos.

What book do you have?

Mine has lots of DTD interpretations, but none have a number/numeral in front of DTD. Maybe it's a typo.

You might ask Epic too, since he graduated in 1912.

I have no idea...it's been so long since I got my diploma through mail order correspondence RPh license...

I'm using Pharmaceutical Calculations 12th edition by Howard C. Answel and Mitchell J. Stoklosa. The prescription example is on pg. 61. Maybe it is a typo. I hate typos.

There is an explanation of the answer on pg 64.

But I'm not seeing anything about the i. Maybe its a typo.

When do you graduate, 1971?

Sir - I graduated in 1977 & you make 1971 sound like it was AGES ago.:smuggrin:

I want you to know.....I am very up-to-date, have all the latest knowledge & have great legs on top of everything else - and I don't know what the h*ll this rx means!

I think its more Epic's era (not really - he graduated in the 80's - not 1880's - 1980's):p

Not really - M.ft. means "mix & make" and D.T.D. means "of such doses" which means to prepare the required mixture.

This is really, really old stuff! No one I know ever prescribes this way & if they did, I'd check to see if their license is still active.

So sorry - yeah, I'm old, but I still have great legs! Just ask drsdn....:D

Sir - I graduated in 1977 & you make 1971 sound like it was AGES ago.:smuggrin:

I want you to know.....I am very up-to-date, have all the latest knowledge & have great legs on top of everything else - and I don't know what the h*ll this rx means!

I think its more Epic's era (not really - he graduated in the 80's - not 1880's - 1980's):p

Not really - M.ft. means "mix & make" and D.T.D. means "of such doses" which means to prepare the required mixture.

This is really, really old stuff! No one I know ever prescribes this way & if they did, I'd check to see if their license is still active.

So sorry - yeah, I'm old, but I still have great legs! Just ask drsdn....:D

:cool: 1995. I love legs..

Members don't see this ad :)
And DrSDN is a lucky dawg..

That's what I keep telling him! Now...it took me a long time to convince him of that when I told him I wanted to redo all 3 bathrooms - not just one.

I had to keep telling him how lucky he was to have me & how happy I would be to have all these bathrooms remodeled all at the same time....

But, honestly, it wouldn't have mattered. I'd have done them all anyway - I would have just said "surprise"!!!!!

But, you're right - he is very, very lucky!:D Sometimes he just needs some help to realize it;).

Man, 1971 was 12 years before I was born...

Thank you for that WVU!!! I was going to my high school graduation before your parents even thought about sex......what a thought.......

Just think about your folks......do you think they still.......????:eek:

Stop the threadjack!

Stop the threadjack!

Hah! we're done with the antique rx!!!!

I don't do the football thread - what else is there (don't say babies - I don't do children's hospitals either!).

Heeeeelllllpppppp!

Damn it people! I've been trying not to post, but I can't help it.
i = 1
ii or ij = 2 (j also =1, but it only comes in at the end)
iii or iij= 3

I think it's a typo, YES they still make us learn this stuff. PO, bid, drams, grains, etc. The explaination our calculations professor gave us, "if you have a really old doctor that prescribes this way you have to know how to interpret." Which is good to know I guess, but continuing education should be focused on those older doctors to get them up to date.

I think it's a typo, YES they still make us learn this stuff. PO, bid, drams, grains, etc. The explaination our calculations professor gave us, "if you have a really old doctor that prescribes this way you have to know how to interpret." Which is good to know I guess, but continuing education should be focused on those older doctors to get them up to date.
It's not a typo. I have my notes to prove it. Don't doubt me, ever!

It's not a typo. I have my notes to prove it. Don't doubt me, ever!

I realize what you're saying, and I agree, however, the debate is over the placement moreso than the actual symbol.

I realize what you're saying, and I agree, however, the debate is over the placement moreso than the actual symbol.
Now that you've said that, I can see why it's weird and debatable.
Maybe it's: mix and make capsules. give 1 of 30 such doses. :confused: A quantity of 30 usually suggests taking the medication once daily.

The i (one) corresponds to how many capsules the "recipe" for the drug makes.

If there was something above the M.ft. cap i D.T.D #30, like:

hydrochlorothiazide 10 mg
lisinopril 10 mg
calcium phospate 40 mg
lactose qs ad 300mg

then it would mean that those together make only one capsule, not the full amount (#30) you're going to dispense to the patient.

The i (one) corresponds to how many capsules the "recipe" for the drug makes.

If there was something above the M.ft. cap i D.T.D #30, like:

hydrochlorothiazide 10 mg
lisinopril 10 mg
calcium phospate 40 mg
lactose qs ad 300mg

then it would mean that those together make only one capsule, not the full amount (#30) you're going to dispense to the patient.

That is correct. It means to mix and make 1 capsule. dispense of such dose
( #30). so all the given ingredients will be to make 1 capsule and to make 30 capsules, you will have to multiple each ingredient by 30

What country are you going to pharmacy school in?