Help on postbac or a la cart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pollyannaish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'd greatly appreciate your advise and suggestions on my present conundrum.

I had applied to the Fall 2011 UPenn post back program but unfortunately I was not accepted. This was the only postbac program I had applied to, owing to its close proximity to work. The Drexel PMED seemed to lack structure and I did not qualify for the Temple University postbac with a cut-off of 3.3 GPA (my gpa is 3.2). There is very little I can do in terms of applying elsewhere since that would require me to quit my job, which is not an option for me since I am not a citizen or permanent resident, I have to be employed full-time in order to maintain my work visa status and reside in the US. I am also restricted in terms of the fields I can be employed, my visa status only allows me to be employed in areas of Design, where I got my undergraduate degree. So, I can't really take up any job of my liking. Now, I am wondering what my next course of action should be and hopefully you can shed some light on it.

My questions are:
1. Would it be a good move for me to opt to take the required science classes a la carte at UPenn, without the advising and linkage?
2. Or, given my low GPA, is it better to enroll in a formal postbac program?
3. Finally, I did try to get in touch with the admissions office and the recruiter at UPenn to get a better idea of where my application lacked so I could improve on those areas before I reapply, but they were not in a position to give me such specific information. This puts me in the dark. Would it be wise to reapply to UPenn without knowing why I was not accepted and where can I get advising on my application?

Best to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

1. Would it be a good move for me to opt to take the required science classes a la carte at UPenn, without the advising and linkage?

2. Or, given my low GPA, is it better to enroll in a formal postbac program?

3. Finally, I did try to get in touch with the admissions office and the recruiter at UPenn to get a better idea of where my application lacked so I could improve on those areas before I reapply, but they were not in a position to give me such specific information. This puts me in the dark. Would it be wise to reapply to UPenn without knowing why I was not accepted and where can I get advising on my application?

First off... that's courageous to say all you have said about your life.

In my opinion:

1. Being a non-trad means, among other things, that you have accumulated life experiences of one sort or another that do not allow you to go at medicine in a straight line kind of way. I would say people take classes to fit in with the current life situation. One class at a time or many, I don't think it makes a difference as long as they are the right kind of classes.

2. I think your GPA will be what it will be regardless of how you take the courses. All that counts is whether you have an A, B, C etc. Though going full time might allow for more focus on your studies.

3. I doubt reapplying without finding out why you were not accepted the first go around is a good idea.

How do u plan to pay for Medical school? Just a thought that came in my mind considering what you have said.

What didn't u like about Drexel PMED? I'm trying to get feedback on the program. Thx.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, made sense while typing it, a little embarrassed right now though :)

Thanks on the feedback, that was indeed helpful. I might not be able to take the classes full-time, could be overwhelming with work, but I might be able to take two courses each semester. A la carte seems like the best route for me right now. I am also looking at Master's program so I can boost my GPA, a non-science background limits my choices though. Any tips on what kind of Master's level programs might be good for medical school?

And to answer your question, I will need to take out an educational loan from my home country, although that is if and when I get into medical school.

Any tips on what kind of Master's level programs might be good for medical school?

No need to be embarrassed;). Talking about things is healing and refreshing in a lot of ways.

On a Master's level program good for medical school... there are people here who will have better informed opinions on that. You should get good feedback in due course.

What didn't u like about Drexel PMED? I'm trying to get feedback on the program. Thx.

Zorro,

I am not an expert on the program and my opinion is purely personal, based on what I read on their website. Additionally, there was very little information I was able to find online about student PMED experience at Drexel. It would have been nice to hear what current and previous students felt about this program. Having said that, my initial assessment might be completely wrong.

Best to you.

No need to be embarrassed;). Talking about things is healing and refreshing in a lot of ways.

On a Master's level program good for medical school... there are people here who will have better informed opinions on that. You should get good feedback in due course.

Great, I will look forward to their feedback then, thanks again :)