Help on which schools for out of state applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chargers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dose anyone have a list of schools (both MD and DO) that accept non-resident applicants regularly? In other words, which schools are CA-resident friendly? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't even know where to start looking for this kind of information. I wish SDN had a search function! sigh

i have heard that alot of PA schools do not give preference to state residents, but i don't know how accurate that rumor is. you may want to check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dose anyone have a list of schools (both MD and DO) that accept non-resident applicants regularly? In other words, which schools are CA-resident friendly? Thanks in advance.

MSAR is probably your best resource for this.

I checked the MSAR. They only list the tuition comparison resident vs. non-resident:(. Anyone has any idea?

you may want to check with your advisor. mine gave me percentages of instate students that get into some different schools...if i remembered the stats that'd be alot more helpful to you though. haha. What states are you considering applying in? I actually have an appt. with my advisor tomorrow and i can see if he'll let me browse the book of stats...

Both New York and Ohio have lots of state schools to spread the in-state applicants thin, subsequently both are friendly to OOS applicants. I'd check the MSAR for the schools there.

Also some of the private schools in Phili and Chicago.

you may want to check with your advisor. mine gave me percentages of instate students that get into some different schools...if i remembered the stats that'd be alot more helpful to you though. haha. What states are you considering applying in? I actually have an appt. with my advisor tomorrow and i can see if he'll let me browse the book of stats...
unfortunately, my school does not have any medical advisor, stupid UC:(. Could you update me on those stats after your appt tomorrow? thanks in advance

yeah, i'll definately ask him about the PA states as that's where i want to apply...any other states/schools you'd like me to ask about?

look a little closer at the msar. you should see the table called "acceptance & matriculation data for first year class" and it says how many applied, were interviewed, and were accepted as both residents and non residents. this should give you a better idea of which schools are more out-of-state friendly.

in particular, look at private schools (as opposed to public schools, who usually have requirements for how many of their own state's residents they need to have). as far as schools i'm familiar with, toledo (in ohio) is rumored to be friendly to californians, and the msar shows they do accept a fairly large amount of OOS applicants, even though it's a public school. i'm sure there's more if you take a closer look. :luck:

also ohio state accepts a lot of OOS for a public school, and case (private) accepts mostly OOS.

look a little closer at the msar. you should see the table called "acceptance & matriculation data for first year class" and it says how many applied, were interviewed, and were accepted as both residents and non residents. this should give you a better idea of which schools are more out-of-state friendly.

in particular, look at private schools (as opposed to public schools, who usually have requirements for how many of their own state's residents they need to have). as far as schools i'm familiar with, toledo (in ohio) is rumored to be friendly to californians, and the msar shows they do accept a fairly large amount of OOS applicants, even though it's a public school. i'm sure there's more if you take a closer look. :luck:

yeah if you have the msar, do what she says. haha. i'm pretty sure this is where my advisor got his numbers anyhow.

i have heard that alot of PA schools do not give preference to state residents, but i don't know how accurate that rumor is. you may want to check it out.

Penn State is the only public school here so there's quite a few of the private schools. For the most part, they have slight instate preference, but not much.

yeah, i'll definately ask him about the PA states as that's where i want to apply...any other states/schools you'd like me to ask about?

oh, oh could you ask him about NY, Fl, NC, SC, IL, OR, and Washington, oh and Hawaii too? Thanks a lots

Edit: I will look at the MSAR, thanks anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
oh, oh could you ask him about NY, Fl, NC, SC, IL, OR, and Washington, oh and Hawaii too? Thanks a lots

Edit: I will look at the MSAR, thanks anyway

WA and HI are definitely NOT OOS friendly. I think FL and SC are prob not either.

OR, IL and NY are ok....

Good OOS acceptance rates that I know: Ohio, Iowa

post your stats first

Vermont is also extremely OOS friendly. Most of their class is out of state, even though its a state school.

You'll probably have better luck with private schools, because most state schools give a lot of preference to in state residents. That's how my state school is anyway. My school (Case Western) is private, and both programs (CCLCM and the UP) take a lot of OOS students. I have a bunch of people from CA in my class. Good luck.

I believe VA schools also accept many OOSers every year.

here is a list of med schools sorted by the number of out of state spots that were filled
http://www.medschoolready.com/app/medstatistics5.asp?Y=2005&T=MD
I am trying to go oos from oklahoma with a 29 mcat and 3.83 gpa. Here is my list if that helps
* Creighton University School of Medicine Edit
* Drexel University College of Medicine Edit
* Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ. Edit
* Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California Edit
* Loma Linda University School of Medicine Edit
* Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici Edit
* Medical College of Wisconsin Edit
* Rush Medical College Edit
* Saint Louis University School of Medicine Edit
* The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Cente Edit
* The University of Oklahoma Edit
* The University of Toledo College of Medicine Edit
* Tulane University School of Medicine Edit
* University of Colorado School of Medicine Edit
* University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis Edit
* Wake Forest University School of Medicine

I believe VA schools also accept many OOSers every year.

Yeah, Virginia Commonwealth in particular takes about 80 OOS out of a class of 180. And they like UC students. EVMS also takes a decent amount of OOS students for a state school.

Other good bets are NYMC, Ros Frank, the Georges in DC, Albany, Drexel...to name a few my premed advisor told me about.

I am trying to go oos from oklahoma with a 29 mcat and 3.83 gpa.

They normally don't even interview OOS'ers unless you have strong ties(i.e. a family member, born there, undergrad, etc.) You will have to send in a letter explaining your "strong ties". If you have them, you will do pretty well. You should get an interview around Oct-Dec. They evaluate according to the (Gpa x 10)+MCAT= formula for interview dates.

:cool:THE University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Class of 2011

They normally don't even interview OOS'ers unless you have strong ties(i.e. a family member, born there, undergrad, etc.) You will have to send in a letter explaining your "strong ties". If you have them, you will do pretty well. You should get an interview around Oct-Dec. They evaluate according to the (Gpa x 10)+MCAT= formula for interview dates.

:cool:THE University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Class of 2011
Thanks, but im trying to get out of oklahoma. Lived here my entire life and im really ready for a change. Thats why i put up my list of schools. With the exception of colorado and new mexico(family) all those other schools should be very oos friendly to the op.

Since this thread sort of deals with acceptance & matriculation table in MSAR...I have a question about why the total enrollment number differs from the number that matriculated? A lot more students were enrolled than matriculated, what accounts for this difference??

Thanks for the explanation!