Help Pass Anti-MOC Legislation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shikima

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Doctor,

It’s time to fight harder, with 8 states passing anti-MOC legislation (weakened by ABMS lobbyists) and 8 states currently in the fight we need our own lobby firm to stand up against ABMS. We have met with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and discussed the anti-competitive aspects of MOC, but we believe our most effective approach is to help pass anti-MOC laws in every state.

We started a new organization that will fund the lobby efforts needed, it’s called NBPAS ADVOCACY and you can learn more at www.nbpasadvocacy.org.

The louder the voice against MOC, the better our chance to be heard and finally end the nonsense of MOC. Our profession needs this effort.

Please consider making a donation to NBPAS ADVOCACY. The more support we can get, the more states we can reach.

Click Here to Donate
Thank you in advance for your support,

Paul Teirstein, MD.
President, NBPAS

-----------------------------
On a personal note, whomever sees this, please post it in all forums and spread this around all hospitals you have contact with.

MOC is a disaster and remember, board certification was just optional only 10 years ago. It magically transformed overnight that we must be and engage with MOC.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get the idea: Hospitals can't require MOC. Therefore, if hospitals require BC and BC requires MOC, then by the transitive property, the hospital is requiring MOC. But does that hold up in the legal realm? This isn't algebra class. The hospital requires Board Certification, not MOC. The specialty board determines the requirements for BC and isn't mentioned in these laws.

I get the idea: Hospitals can't require MOC. Therefore, if hospitals require BC and BC requires MOC, then by the transitive property, the hospital is requiring MOC. But does that hold up in the legal realm? This isn't algebra class. The hospital requires Board Certification, not MOC. The specialty board determines the requirements for BC and isn't mentioned in these laws.

If you are not up to date on MOC you are not BC ergo, you cannot continue to provide services and your medical staff privs are now revoked.

Why is it all the people and states who say govt is not the answer are happy for govt to be the answer here? I think it sets a dangerous precedent to have the govt dictate what can and cannot be required like this... be careful what you wish for...

Reactions: 1 user
Why is it all the people and states who say govt is not the answer are happy for govt to be the answer here? I think it sets a dangerous precedent to have the govt dictate what can and cannot be required like this... be careful what you wish for...

There are lawsuits pending still too regarding MOC. And since the context is similar to anti-trust laws and smells like racketeering - the best way is to have laws created to prevent physicians from being allowed to earn a living than allowing institutions to have total dictating power which wasn't voted upon by membership.

If you are not up to date on MOC you are not BC ergo, you cannot continue to provide services and your medical staff privs are now revoked.
Like I said, I understand the logic, but has anyone actually tested this? Are there physicians in states with strong anti-MOC laws who maintain BC despite not doing MOC? Or who have maintained employment and salary despite losing BC?

Like I said, I understand the logic, but has anyone actually tested this? Are there physicians in states with strong anti-MOC laws who maintain BC despite not doing MOC? Or who have maintained employment and salary despite losing BC?

I don't know if anyone has "tested" by your methodology. I'm not sure if there are any willing to take the chance as it would mean loss of livelihood/income.

because all of these interlocking organizations such as ABPN, ACGME, etc are quasi-governmental organizations and thus government action is required to control them.

because all of these interlocking organizations such as ABPN, ACGME, etc are quasi-governmental organizations and thus government action is required to control them.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance if I have this wrong, but my understanding is that the law applies for facilities/systems so that they cannot require BC/MOC for employment, and not necessarily regulations on MOC itself, but again I could be off. If this is the case, while I like the idea in theory of MOC being phased out, I believe hospital systems have a right to implement stupid policy/criteria as they wish.

st2205: 1. I am actually in favor of MOC.

2. "I believe hospital systems have a right to implement stupid policy/criteria as they wish". And part of the reason why they are implementing these criteria are due to government mandates or the mandates of quasi-governmental agencies such as the Joint Commission. The big hospitals and the Feds are all interconnected.

Something is rotten in Denmark with the cross collaboration.

birds.jpeg

MOC is a money scam enacted by the ABMS. We, as physicians, should unite and help our state legislators oppose MOC for licensure, hospital privelages, and as a requirement by payors. I know of no other profession that asks so much out of its constituents. Not lawyers, dentists, veterinarians, cpa’s, business administrators, etc. It’s time we rise and fight for our rights against the black cloud known as the ABMS. Seriously what other profession requests 10 year recertification exams?

Reactions: 2 users