help! penn state vs duquesne post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madonna1234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a really important decision to make- I must decide between Penn States' post bac program or Duquesne University's. Help, anyone have an opinion or some kind of knowledge?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to Penn State...I can't speak about Duquesne or the Postbacc penn state program specifically but I can speak about the courses. While I love Penn State one of my major motivations for me to not apply to that post bacc program or just stay for another year is that they require the extra math..stupid reason I know but when you are as miserable at math as I am that can be a strong deterrent. To do calc II you have to take math 141 aka calc 2 concurrently or have taken it before hand. I took a business calculus so essentially I'd have to take calc 1 and calc 2 even though I already have the physics 1..long story but it involved dropping courses and a miserable freshman year. I don't know whether they give different courses for postbaccs but the majority of calc classes are taught by foreign guys..which isn't always bad but if you have a tough time with a chinese or russian accent then it can be rough. The chem classes...1 and 2 at least are normally in a large lecture hall in the worst building possible. (forum)..they might change that but that is how it has been for a while. Physics 1 isn't too bad but it is calculus based and I got majorly sick so it was rougher for me...Physics II is known to be a real killer and out of all of my friends the majority despised it...they curve the tests at the end a lot but it can be demoralizing seeing that you got a 60 percent or something. (again all of this could have changed in 3 years) The chem labs weren't "hard" and really depend more on the TA than anything....my guy was really anal and marked off for some b.s. mistakes a lot of times. As for the town. State College is the epitome of a college town....On weekends you have the bars and the bars..there is a tiny mall, and a newer movie theatre that is easiest reached by car but also has busses that head out there. The school has tried to do non-drinking based activities that range from the pretty fun to the absolutley lame. Also..being penn state we live for Football weekends and the town is alive every home game, and the bars for every away. Food is pretty cheap, and housing can range from the ridiculous to the reasonable. The closer you are the more it costs usually...and the less space sometimes involving sharing with 5 other people. My place is about 1300 a month total for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with cable, small kitchen, big living room, new carpet, pool outside, volleyball and within 15 to 20 minutes walking...or 10 if you are me. There is a lot of space to study everywhere and is generally best to search for a random hidden spot in the library and just travel there a lot. Finals can get kind of crowded but they set up special areas in the HUB for more studying. Um......anything else about psu just pm me and I can help you out. I'm in Berlin now for study abroad but I am pretty sure I remember my school.lol