USMLE Help planning Step 1 study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fallot101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm an non-US IMG planning to take Step 1 in Feb/2018. I'm looking for a really high score to maximize my chances (260+). My current study plan is the following:

- Dec/16 - Feb/17: I'll have 9 weeks of vacations, during which I plan to do my first pass through the material, focusing on understanding and building a foundation rather than memorizing.
- Feb/17 - July/17: do Bro's deck to memorize all the minutiae. For this period I'll be studying around 2h/day.
- July/17 - Dec/17: do USMLE-RX and Kaplan QBanks. Will also be studying for only 2h/days on weekdays, and probably more on the weekends.
- Dec/17 - Feb/18: UFAP, as most US students do.
- Feb/18: take the test.

What I need help for is creating a plan for the first pass. Although I've had very good grades so far, my school doesn't come close to contemplating all the material that is relevant for Step 1, so I consider myself to have a weak foundation. I've been thinking about the doing the following:

- Biochem: Kaplan videos + FA;
- Physio: Kaplan videos + BRS;
- Path: Pathoma + Goljan + FA;
- Behavioral: Kaplan videos + BRS;
- Neuro: HY Neuroanatomy;
- Pharm: Kaplan videos = FA;
- Micro: Sketchy;
- Anatomy: ??
- Immuno: ??

Do you guys think that is a good plan? Also, what should I do for anatomy and immuno?

Really appreciate any critics/ suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This plan is fine, you are missing organ systems. Whats your plan for going through Cardio, Resp etc...

It's included in Physio, Path and Pharm. My plan is to go through all physiology before pathology, so I'll have an understanding of all the systems before going through path.

Can I ask what is Bro's deck? I have my exam in a month and was wondering what people thought about Rx question bank. I did UWorld twice, and with the exam in 3 weeks, I'm debating whether to do Rx. Also, how onpoint are the UWorld SelfAssessment questions in terms of difficulty/level of detail to the real deal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask what is Bro's deck? I have my exam in a month and was wondering what people thought about Rx question bank. I did UWorld twice, and with the exam in 3 weeks, I'm debating whether to do Rx. Also, how onpoint are the UWorld SelfAssessment questions in terms of difficulty/level of detail to the real deal?

Bro's deck is a 15,000+ cards Anki deck made by the great Brosencephalon. A quick search and you should be able to find it for download. I wouldn't recommend it for you, however, as you're too close to the test. Can't comment on UWSA as I haven't gotten there yet.

Hey fallout,

Take this with a grain of salt, but I find your plan way to complicated. If Feb 18 is your time limit, then you could do so much better, you have soo much time

Hey fallout,

Take this with a grain of salt, but I find your plan way to complicated. If Feb 18 is your time limit, then you could do so much better, you have soo much time

Hi,

Could you please elaborate? One thing to consider is that I'll be having classes through Feb-Dec, so it's not like I'll have 1+ year to study full time.

Okay, so you have 2 months and a bit?

So, what I meant was that you should invest in a Kaplan package. Its got all the videos, lecture notes to go with it, multiple questions, including diagnostic exam and a dedicated mentor who you can talk to every month. Teachers who have given the step more than once have told me to stick to kaplan, its the most up to date. I wasnt too sure when they told me this, because all these other resources which I trusted where swimming in my head and I was forming a rough plan back then. But then I had my first meeting with the mentor, and I made a timetable, and realized that everything in Kaplan connected and flowed well. This way my job became easy, I go through the material daily and get closer to my goal.

I have done Pathoma, even with the book, yeah its fine, but it's not for me. Goljan, nope didn't like it, I can find easier ways to study than the way he teaches. HY neuro, unhelpful...just summaries no explanations, not how I learn at all. BRS is another review book, apart from anatomy I didnt find any other worth the effort. Different resources have a different structure of laying out the information. I dont like to have a formula for every subject. My reference book is FA, its my guide. And UWorld used along with FA really ties in everything you need to know. My book is full of notes and scribbles and post its, I got it bound and take it everywhere I go...and thats how I'm preparing for the exam.

I appreciate you doing sketchy. Good work on the time table, 2 hours just hits the satisfactory mark for me, but you know your brain's ability the best. Wish you well.