SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Help please! Any input is welcomed!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jigabodo, May 2, 2007.

  1. jigabodo

    jigabodo Dentist 10+ Year Member

    Mar 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Hi all,
    I am an international student, but also a California resident since I have been here since high school.

    I've been attending UC Davis and will be graduating with B.S. in Cell Biology with cGPA of 3.3, sGPA of 3.4 and BCP of 3.6. However, I won't be taking the DAT until early August. I have some good LORs and done some EC as well.

    I've searched the forum regarding the matter on international student, and it seems to me that the chance for international student to get accepted are pretty low -- mostly only to private schools. Is it because most international student attended universities from foreign contries and the grades are hard to compare? Would I stand a better chance if I went to college in USA? Actually, do I stand a chance at all?

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. deejay

    deejay OHH YEAH! 7+ Year Member

    Oct 20, 2005
    I thought UC Davis was in the US. Sorry if I'm wrong
  4. superfinger45

    superfinger45 5+ Year Member

    Sep 3, 2006
    :laugh: :laugh:
  5. jigabodo

    jigabodo Dentist 10+ Year Member

    Mar 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    UC Davis is in U.S. I am just an international student who happened to be going to highschool and college in the states.
  6. djeffreyt

    djeffreyt Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jun 3, 2006
    I'm not sure you can be an international student and also hold california residency. If you are a california resident...doesn't that mean you've become a citizen of the US seeing as California is a state. I'm pretty sure you can't hold residency in californai and not be a US citizen.

    beyond that...I don't really get the question. You already attend a US university, and you ask if it would be better if you attended a US university. Are you planning to move away to Albania and attend college there and then try to come back to the US for dental school and want advice on whether or not to do it?

    And also...the question of your chances at a school when you have very odd or unisual circumstances is not usually best answered by students on here. Most of us don't have those odd circumstances, so all you mostly get is hearsay. Try actually calling schools to learn actual information that might be usable. SDN is great for fairly standard questions...the odd ones don't get much useful info here.
  7. Eid

    Eid 5+ Year Member

    Oct 24, 2006
    Jigabodo, been there. Exactly there. Depends on if u are also either a 'Permanent resident' on top of california residency, or one of many other classes of 'elegible non-citizens' who classify to be california resident.

    If you did high school here you should be covered..
  8. PChemGrad

    PChemGrad I am a banana. 10+ Year Member

    Jun 29, 2006
    Your going to highschool and college at the same time?

    i wish I thought of that. ohh wait i did, i took my math at a college while in high school.

    this gets pretty tricky, your international student but a CA resident, you cant have both. at UCD what tuition do you pay? In state or CA resident?
    Also do you have a SSN?
    If so then you should be fine.

Share This Page