help please with email to PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous M4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, can anyone help me with this? I'm putting myself out there a little but here goes. I am a pretty good applicant. I have a few interviews scheduled. I've gotten 1 rejection, a few waitlists, and complete silence from a few. Since completing my app, I've obtained another SLOR. I am emailing PDs of programs I'd really like to interview at to see if they'll give me a shot. As a closing, is this too much? Is it arrogant? Is it weird that I'm asking complete strangers? Thanks

"I know that this application year has been flooded with qualified applicants, but I believe that I am a strong candidate and merit a second consideration of my application. I hope that I will hear from you soon, even as you look towards the end of interview season and the Match. Thank you for your time in reading this letter."

Members don't see this ad.

Can't tell if that message is serious or a joke...

But in the off chance you are serious, for the love of god don't send it unless you really are that pretentious in real life. Remember this process is a numbers game and you aren't special.

LOL! Thanks for your reply to my question. Although I didn't show you the comment in the context of the whole email, as it reveals more about myself than I am comfortable doing, I thought it sounded kind of obnoxious (although I believe it to be true ;) ), which is why I asked. Maybe I am pretentious, but at least I'm self-aware enough to think I might need to change my tone. Do you have any suggestions on how to close an email like this? I appreciate your response, if not necessarily your snark.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not send that e-mail. You need to target individual programs and let them know why you are interested them specifically. If you've not heard from many places, there must be something in your application, scores/grades/other red flags, that make places feel that you aren't the strongest applicant. I would focus on letting the PD know why you think they are a strong program rather than trying to emphasize that you think you are a strong applicant. Also it would be worth addressing any red flags from your application.

Thanks! That was about a third of a targeted email to a PD, tailored to the aspects of his program that I liked from reading about it and the talents I have that might suit them. I started 4th year and the application season late, and I was missing some crucial information. Red flag. I was still offered interviews at places I think offer excellent training, and they are all great programs, so I infer that I am a fairly competitive applicant. I have updated my application with the missing information, and if PDs haven't downloaded it, I'd like to ask them to do so and re/consider my application, since I wasn't initially rejected from their programs. In retrospect, I think my situation is somewhat unique and I didn't give enough context to explain why I would be so frank in my language. In any case, my gut said it was too much, and y'all have confirmed it, so I changed the closing to something milder. Thanks for weighing in!

Not sure asking for an interview will get you anywhere in the long run. You already applied for the interview and you already sent them a personal statement, sending them another personal statement of sorts won't net you much. And if you do get an interview for it, realize that you're going to be the guy who had to beg for an interview, where will they rank you in comparison to the guy they asked to interview with them.

At this point in the interview process I highly doubt your email will hurt things. I agree that you should write about why you are really interested in that particular program I.e. you live next to the hospital, etc. I received one interview this way. I think people here are being overly harsh. Like TLC I would be saying "I ain't too proud to beg."

Thanks for your input. I am not asking for an interview. I am asking for my now complete application to be considered. If they like it, they can interview me. If they don't, they can reject me, either formally or with continued silence. Right now, I'm guardedly hopeful about my match prospects. In any case, thanks for weighing in.

Thanks! But I don't think it's begging unless you've been formally rejected. Just my young take on it though. I don't think it will harm anything either. I definitely changed the end though ;). Kind of embarrassed that I put myself out there like that. I would be grateful to go to any of the programs that have agreed to interview me. Who knows, maybe my best fit is at one of the ones that needed to see the complete application.

Okay I need to climb out of the internet. Thanks for your input everyone, sorry to offend anyone if I did.

Peace

i didn't think your email was that bad, but i guess it wouldn't hurt to tone it down a bit.

and i certainly wouldn't be ashamed to ask for an interview! you might wow them in the interview and tons of qualified applicants get overlooked by programs because they really are just flooded with applications.

i spent time working outside of medicine...there is no shame in knocking on someone's door and asking for a job. it shows confidence, motivation and desire to work.

look i doubt an email will help, but it certainly won't hurt at this point. so put yourself out there and be sure to let them know why you are interested in their program.

I would simply state that you are updating them with a new SLOR letter, that you are genuinely interested in the program and would be honored and humbled to receive an invitation offer.

They can look at your application and see just how "competitive" you are compared to the rest of the applicant pool. Some of the western schools only interview a select number of applicants from the east.

I would simply state that you are updating them with a new SLOR letter, that you are genuinely interested in the program and would be honored and humbled to receive an invitation offer.

They can look at your application and see just how "competitive" you are compared to the rest of the applicant pool. Some of the western schools only interview a select number of applicants from the east.

Agree. I'd be cautious calling yourself "strong" or declaring that you "merit" a second look. Forgive me, but if you're so strong......

Either way, its your app, your life. Go for it.

My PD told me that any correspondence with a PD needs to be brief. I think just telling them you updated your application should suffice. And why you want to interview there. I wouldn't add the rest of it .

Is there someone who can call on your behalf? If you are in a medical school with an EM residency program, the PD (they all know each other) might be willing to call for you, or any attendings at your school with ties to specific programs might be willing to call. This is far more likely to help you.

I sent personal emails detailing why I wanted to interview at the program to TWO places - one "geographical reach" and one "late application". I actually sent my emails to only the program coordinator, who in turn apparently shared the info with the faculty. I got interviews at both. The PD will be busy and barely skim your email anyway.
I also sent several generic emails to several reach programs with no response.
At this point it can't hurt. Just send something if you are interested/desperate enough. The portion of your email you pasted earlier sounds good enough. Be calm and carry on.

edit: +1 to having faculty make phone calls if you can.

Thanks for the input, everyone! Best of luck to everyone applying this year.

Send the email to the coordinator, not the PD. They dont have time to look at it.

Also, your email above is generic and I think it would be obvious that it was likely sent to many program.

I think you should only target a particular place if you have a great reason. "I grew up in Miami; My dad lives in Portland, I am from NC but always wanted to live in Ohio, etc."... Personalize it....