help please with FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but a search didn't yield anything helpful. My husband is filling out his FAFSA for next year. He's a first year med student. He isn't sure if he should put parental information. We've been married over a year. I'm not in school (quit grad school and applying to med school this summer). His parents don't have much income at all, but it would be such a pain to get the info., and might effect what kinds of loans we get. Are we required to put the parental stuff?

thanks so much!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

grad students are not required to submit parental info (this includes us)

chameleonknight said:
grad students are not required to submit parental info (this includes us)

Like he said, grad students are not required to submit parental information but it is recommended to do so. I don't know why it is but thats what I hear. Also, some med schools, including mine, ask you to fill out the parental information section.

Regardring your question about whether or not their information will affect the types of loans you get, I'm not too sure about that. Does anybody know the answer to that question?

Members don't see this ad :)
thehomez66 said:
Like he said, grad students are not required to submit parental information but it is recommended to do so. I don't know why it is but thats what I hear. Also, some med schools, including mine, ask you to fill out the parental information section.

Regardring your question about whether or not their information will affect the types of loans you get, I'm not too sure about that. Does anybody know the answer to that question?

Call the school's financial aid office and ask. My school required parent info (and I've been married for 5 years!) Financial Aide folks are MUCH nicer than admissions people. Give them a call.

Soleil9 said:
Call the school's financial aid office and ask. My school required parent info (and I've been married for 5 years!) Financial Aide folks are MUCH nicer than admissions people. Give them a call.

Thanks everybody for the info. We'll call the office on Monday (I'm silly and I like to finish things as soon as I start them, but I'll put up with putting it off for a few days :p )

At my med school, the parental information is required in order to be eligible for grants and scholarships (i.e., the nice, free money). i think contacting your financial aid office is a great idea. best of luck.

klubguts said:
At my med school, the parental information is required in order to be eligible for grants and scholarships (i.e., the nice, free money). i think contacting your financial aid office is a great idea. best of luck.

Unfortunately, many schools do not offer need based financial aid, other than those federal loans.