tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
3,373
6
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know this has been discussed before but a search didn't yield anything helpful. My husband is filling out his FAFSA for next year. He's a first year med student. He isn't sure if he should put parental information. We've been married over a year. I'm not in school (quit grad school and applying to med school this summer). His parents don't have much income at all, but it would be such a pain to get the info., and might effect what kinds of loans we get. Are we required to put the parental stuff?

thanks so much!!!!
 

thehomez66

The Extra Point is GOOD!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
112
0
36
NJ
Status
chameleonknight said:
grad students are not required to submit parental info (this includes us)
Like he said, grad students are not required to submit parental information but it is recommended to do so. I don't know why it is but thats what I hear. Also, some med schools, including mine, ask you to fill out the parental information section.

Regardring your question about whether or not their information will affect the types of loans you get, I'm not too sure about that. Does anybody know the answer to that question?
 

Soleil9

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2002
261
1
Michigan
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thehomez66 said:
Like he said, grad students are not required to submit parental information but it is recommended to do so. I don't know why it is but thats what I hear. Also, some med schools, including mine, ask you to fill out the parental information section.

Regardring your question about whether or not their information will affect the types of loans you get, I'm not too sure about that. Does anybody know the answer to that question?

Call the school's financial aid office and ask. My school required parent info (and I've been married for 5 years!) Financial Aide folks are MUCH nicer than admissions people. Give them a call.
 
OP
tigress

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
3,373
6
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Soleil9 said:
Call the school's financial aid office and ask. My school required parent info (and I've been married for 5 years!) Financial Aide folks are MUCH nicer than admissions people. Give them a call.
Thanks everybody for the info. We'll call the office on Monday (I'm silly and I like to finish things as soon as I start them, but I'll put up with putting it off for a few days :p )
 

klubguts

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
166
0
the big D
Status
At my med school, the parental information is required in order to be eligible for grants and scholarships (i.e., the nice, free money). i think contacting your financial aid office is a great idea. best of luck.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
klubguts said:
At my med school, the parental information is required in order to be eligible for grants and scholarships (i.e., the nice, free money). i think contacting your financial aid office is a great idea. best of luck.
Unfortunately, many schools do not offer need based financial aid, other than those federal loans.