Help please with schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cablen64k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, you know the drill...

I just finished me junior year. I have a low gpa (3.4 cumulative, 3.2 science) with a big upward trend (3.0-3.2 first two years, 3.6 this year) and a 31 MCAT. I'm a NY resident, UB would be my 1st choice dream school since it's close to home. I go to GWU for undergrad with a history and bio double major.

I have really good LORs from a PhD University Professor and others. My PS I think is really solid. I did 3 summers of chart review research, 6 months of clinical ER research, and a month of lab work at a pharmaceutical company. During my last 3 summers, I also worked part time (30 hours a week) at a local Wegmans grocery store where I think (hope) I developed solid people skills. Though I didn't volunteer much in college, I did 1000+ hours of volunteering throughout high school. Also, though I never officially shadowed a doctor, I have worked at both of my parent's doctors offices since I was 14 and have followed them around on rounds hundreds of times. I was also a founding father of a fraternity on campus and have had a serious leadership / executive position for the last 3 years.

Whew that was a lot of info. I am looking to get into any MD or DO school, I don't really care which. Which schools should I look at applying to? I'm almost done with my AMCAS at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Also, after further research into DO schools, I have just now noticed quite a few Behavioral Science requirements. I'm pretty sure I haven't taken any at college so far, but I've taken loads of humanities since I a history major. I have no free space senior year to squeeze in those kinds of classes. For DO schools, should I only apply to those without BS requirements? Also, as a NY resident, which DO schools should I look at?

You need to go get some clinical volunteer experience. I understand that you've been busy, but a lot of adcoms just want to see that, and if you don't have it your application is likely to go in the trash.

I don't know specifically about DO school behavioral sciences requirements. Your best bet is to ask the schools directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have clarified, I did 6 months of volunteer research work in the GW ED, I wasn't paid, I just contacted a doctor about it and went to work in the ED. That seems like a double dip though, since it was both research and volunteer. Will it count as both or only as one?

Yes it will count as both, though I suggest you list it under "Research."

Here is a link to a booklet that has the requirements for each DO school: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009/2009_CIB_web.pdf
Perhaps you can pinpoint those without BS requirements.

I'm sure the posters on the SDN Pre-Osteo Forum would be happy to help with your school specific questions too.