Help please.

Started by npharm21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

npharm21

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A system becomes more stable when there is a?
And the answer is loss of enthalpy and gain of entropy.

But why? I don't understand, if there is more entropy there is more disorder!....It might have been a mistake but please correct me if I am wrong.
 
A system becomes more stable when there is a?
And the answer is loss of enthalpy and gain of entropy.

But why? I don't understand, if there is more entropy there is more disorder!....It might have been a mistake but please correct me if I am wrong.

more disorder is a stable status! Nature favors more disorder. Think of gas molecules in a container. It would be more stable when the gas is dispersed throughout the whole container. it won't be stable if the gas molecules are piled in the corner leaving rest of the container empty. The former one will have more disorder and is stable.

And also, think of Gibbs Free Energy. When deltaG is a negative value, a system will become stable.

deltaG=deltaH - T * deltaS <0

Thus deltaH should be (-) and deltaS should be (+), meaning loss of enthalpy and gain of entropy!