• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

help please

NYian

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hello all,

I'm a 24 years old finishing my degree in Biology and public health from a private university in NY. My undergrad gpa is about 3.1 and premed reqs are:
    General Biology 1: A
    General Biology 2: b+
    Gen chem 1 class B-
    Gen chem 1 lab A
    Gen chem 2 class B-
    Gen chem 2 lab 2
    Organic Chem 1: c+
    Organic Chem 2: c
    Physics 1: C
    Physics 2: B
    Biochemistry 1: B
    --------------------------------------------------
    Overall GPA is 3.1
    With that said, should I do a post bac? or take another BS degree in Medical biotech which can be completed in 2 years, or do a post-bac and finish it in one year and then apply?
    I have strong volunteering and shadowing activities and worked full time while in school and helped opened a family business. I came to the US 5 years ago and did not know the system very well and had to change many majors and courses. I've emailed RUSM and they have said you should take the MCAT and apply you seem to have a chance there but it raises many red flags to me.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
    2+ Year Member
    Jan 27, 2017
      Hello all,

I'm a 24 years old finishing my degree in Biology and public health from a private university in NY. My undergrad gpa is about 3.1 and premed reqs are:
      Gen chem 1 class B-
      Gen chem 1 lab A
      Gen chem 2 class B-
      Gen chem 2 lab 2
      Overall GPA is 3.1

TBH, your record doesn't show an upward trend, so what suggests that you'd do well in a post-bacc? And, you've taken all the prereqs, so not sure what you'd take in a post-bacc.

I think an adcom would look at your grades and think, "hmmm, not likely going to do well in med school."

Not everyone who has an interest in a healthcare career has what it takes to become a doctor. There are other terrific careers in healthcare. Have you considered some others?

About the Ads

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Hello all,

Gen chem 1 class B-
        Gen chem 1 lab A
        Gen chem 2 class B-
        Gen chem 2 lab 2
        Overall GPA is 3.1
        With that said, should I do a post bac? or take another BS degree in Medical biotech which can be completed in 2 years, or do a post-bac and finish it in one year and then apply?
        I have strong volunteering and shadowing activities and worked full time while in school and helped opened a family business. I came to the US 5 years ago and did not know the system very well and had to change many majors and courses. I've emailed RUSM and they have said you should take the MCAT and apply you seem to have a chance there but it raises many red flags to me.

Yes, you need a post-bac or SMP for MD schools. For DO, you have a chance at the newest programs.

RUSM? as in Ross? They'll take you as long as you have a pulse and can write a tuition check! Search these fora as to why this is a really bad idea.

Reactions: 2 users

NYian

2+ Year Member
        Jul 21, 2017
        1. Pre-Medical
          TBH, your record doesn't show an upward trend, so what suggests that you'd do well in a post-bacc? And, you've taken all the prereqs, so not sure what you'd take in a post-bacc.

I think an adcom would look at your grades and think, "hmmm, not likely going to do well in med school."

Not everyone who has an interest in a healthcare career has what it takes to become a doctor. There are other terrific careers in healthcare. Have you considered some others?
          Well, thanks for your comment but I'm here for some ideas to improve my chances to go to med schools not to consider other careers. I can easily make as much money as doctors do now (Have our own business), and also have good records to obtain a wide variety of jobs in "health care" but I still want to go to med school.

NYian

2+ Year Member
          Jul 21, 2017
          1. Pre-Medical
            Yes, you need a post-bac or SMP for MD schools. For DO, you have a chance at the newest programs.

RUSM? as in Ross? They'll take you as long as you have a pulse and can write a tuition check! Search these fora as to why this is a really bad idea.
            Thanks for your reply, Would please give me an idea about the new DO programs? Can you name one for me so I can search it and learn more about it? Thank you!

Isoval

Year four and still haven't failed out yet, cool.
            2+ Year Member
          • Jul 5, 2017
            Texas
            1. Medical Student
              Well, thanks for your comment but I'm here for some ideas to improve my chances to go to med schools not to consider other careers. I can easily make as much money as doctors do now (Have our own business), and also have good records to obtain a wide variety of jobs in "health care" but I still want to go to med school.

My advice is to study for and take the MCAT, and, if your score comes back say 505+, apply DO.

I also think a post-graduate certificate (there are some in physiology, etc.) would also help your case. However, as was previously stated, "your undergraduate grades do not show an upward trend so what makes you think you'll do better in a postbacc"?

I agree with Goro and think you have a very poor (if any) chance on MD schools regardless of any and all other factors.

NYian

2+ Year Member
              Jul 21, 2017
              1. Pre-Medical
                My advice is to study for and take the MCAT, and, if your score comes back say 505+, apply DO.

I also think a post-graduate certificate (there are some in physiology, etc.) would also help your case. However, as was previously stated, "your undergraduate grades do not show an upward trend so what makes you think you'll do better in a postbacc"?

I agree with Goro and think you have a very poor (if any) chance on MD schools regardless of any and all other factors.
                Even if I retake all the prereq will still have a low chance for MD?

Isoval

Year four and still haven't failed out yet, cool.
                2+ Year Member
              • Jul 5, 2017
                Texas
                1. Medical Student
                  Retakes are averaged, not replaced. Even if you retook every class and made an A in every one, you would still have only a marginally competitive sGPA and schools would still be able to see the first time grades.

I don't think (most) retakes are in your best interest.

Even if I retake all the prereq will still have a low chance for MD?

NYian

2+ Year Member
                  Jul 21, 2017
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Retakes are averaged, not replaced. Even if you retook every class and made an A in every one, you would still have only a marginally competitive sGPA and schools would still be able to see the first time grades.

I don't think (most) retakes are in your best interest.
                    So in this case, a science post-bac in biomedical forensic science would help? Is it all science classes, or retake another BS degree in medical biotech?

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.