HELP! Practicum Advice Needed for Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Msladytoomuch

Reaction score
Morning All! Silly question, possibly....So, I received my masters at Walden University and sadly clinical studies was not an option. In Texas to obtain an LPC I needed 12 hours of practicum counted toward the total degree hour requirement. Walden does not offer just a practicum, I would have to move on to the PhD program. By any chance is there a school who may offer just a practicum?

Members don't see this ad.

Morning All! Silly question, possibly....So, I received my masters at Walden University and sadly clinical studies was not an option. In Texas to obtain an LPC I needed 12 hours of practicum counted toward the total degree hour requirement. Walden does not offer just a practicum, I would have to move on to the PhD program. By any chance is there a school who may offer just a practicum?
I think it's extremely unlikely that a school would allow a student to do just practicum work. Why would they let you jump straight into clinical work if they are not also sure of the quality of your training leading up to that point, or your general personality/judgement (basically they haven't had a chance to get to know you and know you're not crazy)? That's why most programs don't let you transfer many class credits and jump straight to the clinical stuff if you haven't had supervised clinical experience in the past. Also, to get a good quality practicum experience, you'd have to apply to a program and probably relocate, is that something you'd be willing to do at this point? TBH my guess is you might be looking at enrolling in another masters program and hoping some of your previous coursework will transfer. But maybe someone else has different thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, no. I would recommend that you enroll in a university-based counseling or social work program instead of pursuing a PhD through Walden, which will close many doors and make your life generally poorer and more difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, no. I would recommend that you enroll in a university-based counseling or social work program instead of pursuing a PhD through Walden, which will close many doors and make your life generally poorer and more difficult.

Spot on. It's unfortunate so many people get swindled by these fake schools like Walden. I looked at Walden's site and they aren't accredited by the APA.

I've never heard of a grad school letting folks do practicum without being accepted/enrolled in an entire graduate program. I think you're going to have to start over, unfortunately.

Speaking to all folks, (and I hope more folks read this who are wanting to go into grad school) it is a HUGE red flag if a graduate program claims to be clinical/counseling without a practice requirement built into the program, and folks need to steer clear of online programs if that is the case.

Edit: OP, how did you graduate if you didn't complete practicum/internship? Per Walden's coursework, that is part of the clinical mental health degree requirements:
General Program | MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling | Walden University

Walden has shady outcome data (and they don't have to report how many graduates get counseling jobs nor how many become licensed), but they are CACREP-accredited, which requires practicum hours as well.

Last edited:
Most likely OP went with their MS in Psychology instead of CMHC:
Curriculum | MS in Psychology | Walden University

OP, if you're Texas, you may be able to apply/get into a counseling program here and transfer some of your previous credits from Walden. Classes like psychopathology/development/other didactic core courses should be able to transfer. You will have to "start over", but it doesn't have to be from zero. Most of the programs here are 2-3 years, but with transferred courses you might be able to shave off 1-2 semesters.

I think it's extremely unlikely that a school would allow a student to do just practicum work. Why would they let you jump straight into clinical work if they are not also sure of the quality of your training leading up to that point, or your general personality/judgement (basically they haven't had a chance to get to know you and know you're not crazy)? That's why most programs don't let you transfer many class credits and jump straight to the clinical stuff if you haven't had supervised clinical experience in the past. Also, to get a good quality practicum experience, you'd have to apply to a program and probably relocate, is that something you'd be willing to do at this point? TBH my guess is you might be looking at enrolling in another masters program and hoping some of your previous coursework will transfer. But maybe someone else has different thoughts.
I am totally agree with you singasongofjoy....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: