HELP! Prelim medicine vs research year?

Started by Itsmeeee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Itsmeeee

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am a non-US IMG, with my first preference being categorical IM(second peds) and was wondering if it is better to take up a prelim spot if I get the opportunity and then try for PGY2 later, or is it better to do a research yr and reapply to categorical IM and Peds for the next match?
 
Hi everyone. I am a non-US IMG, with my first preference being categorical IM(second peds) and was wondering if it is better to take up a prelim spot if I get the opportunity and then try for PGY2 later, or is it better to do a research yr and reapply to categorical IM and Peds for the next match?
I am also looking into prelim positions...