Help: Private Vs. State Med School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been accepted into NYMC in Valhalla and SUNY Upstate. I was wondering whether tuition should play a huge role in my decision. Am I going to much better off in terms of debt if I go to the state school or am I going to get a better residency if I go to NYMC? I would really appreciate any advice in general...what are the pros and cons of public vs private med school and what would u choose?

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jul 20, 2003
    upper upper UPPER west side
      Bigsheed920 said:
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been accepted into NYMC in Valhalla and SUNY Upstate. I was wondering whether tuition should play a huge role in my decision. Am I going to much better off in terms of debt if I go to the state school or am I going to get a better residency if I go to NYMC? I would really appreciate any advice in general...what are the pros and cons of public vs private med school and what would u choose?

I would wait till you get your financial packages from both places before you make your decision. I know I've said this a lot, but last year I thought that I was going to be going into severe debt by picking Columbia over UNC (my very cheap state school).... until I got my financial package. Some private schools actually have more money to give in grants and scholarships.

I encourage you to wait and see.... but IMO, you can't go wrong with SUNY Upstate (I grew up in Syracuse, so it's dear to my heart!). I wouldn't think the match lists would be all that different.

About the Ads
      Status
      Not open for further replies.