HELP!!! Qualifications questions!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mooks1524

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new here at the forum so please bear with me. I am graduating this May 08 and will be applying for dental schools right after (end of May, early June). I just want someone's honest opinion about my resume if it's competitive or not. Please be honest! So, here it is..

1. CUM GPA: 3.45, SCI GPA: 3.35
2. Major: Health Sciences, Minor: Fine Arts (GPA minor: 4.0)
- For my Fine Arts classes, I've done drawing, entaglio printing, lithography, and advance painting.
3. Shadowing Experience: General dentist 30+ hours, Endodontist 35+ hours
4. Dental Practicum (which is offered at my school): Shadowed 2 General dentist and 1 Orthodontist: total=76 hours
5. Research Experience: Exercise Physiology Researcher for 2 semesters
6. Volunteering: 2 different Nursing Homes- total= 60+hours
7. Clubs/Activities: Pre-dental club, Tri-beta Science Honor Society, Relay for Life
8. Current work: Activity Aide at a nursing home (25 hrs/wk)
9. DAT: I'm scheduled to take my DAT after graduation. I've done Kaplan and Topscore. My test scores are between 18-20 for academic, and 22-23 for perceptual ability.

For my year off after graduation, I am looking into The Navy's Officer Candidate School..

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

everything looks good..........

some may argue your GPA is a bit low? but i think it is fine.

just do well on the DAT and your good to go. obviously the higher you score on the DAT the better your chances.

i think you have a good amount of shadowing experience, but try assisting a dentist?

plenty of EC and volunteering.

got research.......

do you have a job? thats like the only thing i can think of that you are missing and its not even that big of a deal........

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, currently I am working at a nursing home as an activity aide for 25 hrs/week. I do bingo, uno, poker, movies, etc. with the residents. With my schedule, it's really hard to find a dental assisting job since my availability only consists weekends. Before, I've worked as a fitness associate at a nursing home(1yr), grade physics homework (1yr), and was a rental manager at a car rental company (4yrs).

I figured I need some improvement on my GPA. So, I was thinking about doing some extra science or art classes this summer to bump up my GPA. But then again, if I have to wait for those grades, my application submission will be delayed. I heard the school don't even look at other credentials if they don't think the GPA is competitive enough.

I'm planning on visiting some of the schools of my choice to talk to an advisor, or maybe dean of admissions, before the semester ends to see where I stand. If they give me a positive input, then I would apply. If not, I would probably wait another year so that I can strengthen my weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine, provided you do well on the DAT. Get back to studying!

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, currently I am working at a nursing home as an activity aide for 25 hrs/week. I do bingo, uno, poker, movies, etc. with the residents. With my schedule, it's really hard to find a dental assisting job since my availability only consists weekends. Before, I've worked as a fitness associate at a nursing home(1yr), grade physics homework (1yr), and was a rental manager at a car rental company (4yrs).

I figured I need some improvement on my GPA. So, I was thinking about doing some extra science or art classes this summer to bump up my GPA. But then again, if I have to wait for those grades, my application submission will be delayed. I heard the school don't even look at other credentials if they don't think the GPA is competitive enough.

I'm planning on visiting some of the schools of my choice to talk to an advisor, or maybe dean of admissions, before the semester ends to see where I stand. If they give me a positive input, then I would apply. If not, I would probably wait another year so that I can strengthen my weaknesses.

sounds good!

i am not sure what the adcoms think about jobs, but i think having a job shows you have more responsibilities?

about taking the classes over summer...i think you should submit your application early instead of trying to add a few grades to your transcript. i dont even think your spring grades will be ready if you want to apply in june?

You seem like a very well rounded applicant. Good luck

Thanks everyone!

I'm also wondering what's the best time I should apply. My goal is June but I was just wondering if applying during August would be a big difference. As I said previously, I was thinking about taking some summer courses to bump up my GPA.

Thanks everyone!

I'm also wondering what's the best time I should apply. My goal is June but I was just wondering if applying during August would be a big difference. As I said previously, I was thinking about taking some summer courses to bump up my GPA.

i say apply in may. i dont think the extra few classes will make a huge difference?

i would rather apply early than wait until august to apply.

when you apply in may, your spring grade probably wont be out....

Your GPA is fine (provided you get a decent DAT score). Taking a couple summer classes isnt going to raise it much.... but waiting to submit your application will definitly hurt you. Apply as early as possible.

thanks for all of your feedbacks!