HELP!! QUESTION FOR INTERVIEW TOMORROW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steviey2493

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview tomorrow, I made a road trip with my dad. My question I need help with is....

He planned on dropping me off and then picking me up when interview and tour was done. Do people go by themselves? Do parents attend?

If they do attend, what do they wear? My dad only has a button up with jeans best case scenario. Is that going to be a bad reflection for the interviewers? Will they not care? Is it better for me to go alone?

PLEASE BE HONEST!!! AND THANK YOU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know for one of my interviews they said guests are welcome. Did they mention guests when you scheduled your interview?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they said lunch for two, but didn't specifically say one or the other.

Like do a lot of ppl go alone? And are jeans on a parent a bad look?

Just my opinion but I think it would be fine, I believe they do the tour and eat with you. As long as you look professional in your interview that is the most important part.

B
Just my opinion but I think it would be fine, I believe they do the tour and eat with you. As long as you look professional in your interview that is the most important part.
by they do you mean the faculty/tour guide? Or parents?

The parents get to go on the student guided tour with you, I think it's helpful to have someone else there, ease the nerves a little bit.

My mom and my sister came to ICO to my interview with me planning to just drop me off, but they were encouraged to stay, as they only pulled us out individually for the actual interview and the writing sample. Aside from that, having my family there to hear about all about the school helped me a lot with things that I wouldn't necessarily remember on my own and having a second opinion about the school.

Go alone. It's graduate school. See if you can arrange a tour for your dad so he can still see the place.

of course people go by themselves. if a parent is able to go with you, then great! but you are an adult interviewing for professional school so its standard to go by yourself :) i don't think they will care if he is wearing jeans, as long as You look professional and do well on the interview

I had the same exact question! I asked the doctor I shadowed for his opinion and he said that it should be fine to bring your parents and that you don't need to worry that it would be a bad reflection. I hope your interview went well steviey2493!

I decided to go myself and it was fine! A lot of other parents there for sure. PCO interview went well, the interviewer loved me, even shared a few laughs lol! After they closed up my file she came out and told me I didn't look or seem nervous where most people are, so I feel really good! Thank you everyone!

Well for anyone else with this question, I had an interview earlier this week, my fiance AND parents went on the tour with me. My father was wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt, mother had casual clothes, and my fiance was dressed nice but nothing fancy. If the recruiter said you can bring guests then it should be no problem if you bring your father. Granted, I didn't care either way if they came with me but they all wanted to see the school. While it seems other people think its a negative to bring guests, I personally think the school likes seeing that you have a good support system to be able to help you make it through optometry school. The biggest reason I believe this is because they offered me a seat less than 48 hours after the interview! Either way, don't worry too much about it, their main focus is you and how you do in the interview. Hope you hear good news!