Help Quick for Bio!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

webdivx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am unsure of the anwers for this question. Can anybody please help? Here is the question:

Which of the following is a biological macromolecule?

A. DNA
B. Enzymes
C. Cholesterol
D. Glycogen
E. All of the Above

I think it is All of the Above, but I am not sure. Am I right? If not, whats the right answer? Ty for help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just for future reference, this is not a homework help forum. The mods will probably close your thread...

Why don't you just look in your book or do an internet search (google, wikipedia)?

Members don't see this ad :)
well.. it relates to pre-med since it is bio.

anyways, i did google/ wiki it. wiki and my book disagree on the definition for a macromolecule. wiki says macromolecules are lipids, proteins, mono and polysaccaharides, while my book says proteins, carbs, and nucleic acids. um.. no talk about lipids in my book, but on wiki it says thats what a macromolecules includes.

i think the anwser is all of the above, but i wanted confirmation from one of the knowledgeable members of SDN

so if it is multiple choice, and your book clearly states that two of the answers are correct, (proteins = enzymes, nucleic acids = dna), and you are not sure about the other two but you have a hunch they are right (cause wiki mentions them and hopefully you think of them as big molecules), AND one of the answers is all the above (when you are already sure that at least 2 are right)... seems fairly obvious what the answer is...

i make this point because this is what you will have to do on many bio tests, especially mcat - you dont have to know everything is correct to get the right answer...

(post below done simultaeneous with mine and says the same thing, but a little more to the point)

well.. it relates to pre-med since it is bio.

anyways, i did google/ wiki it. wiki and my book disagree on the definition for a macromolecule. wiki says macromolecules are lipids, proteins, mono and polysaccaharides, while my book says proteins, carbs, and nucleic acids. um.. no talk about lipids in my book, but on wiki it says thats what a macromolecules includes.

i think the anwser is all of the above, but i wanted confirmation from one of the knowledgeable members of SDN

This should not even be an issue, you know for sure that DNA and enzymes are macromolecules and just A and B is not an option so it must be all of the above even without knowing about the others based solely on the structure of the question.

Wikipedia said:
A macromolecule is a large molecule with a large molecular mass bonded covalently, but generally the use of the term is restricted to polymers and molecules which structurally include polymers. Some of these may include lipids, proteins, mono and polysaccaharides. DNA is a type of a macromolecule.

And what is an enzyme? A catalytic protein.

So there you go. [E] All of the above.

:thumbup:

You guys are right. If I knew 2 of the right answers, then it should obviously be "All of the Above". lol... that was a dumb question on my part.

Thanks for the help though! :D

You guys are right. If I knew 2 of the right answers, then it should obviously be "All of the Above". lol... that was a dumb question on my part.

Thanks for the help though! :D

-exactly-
i wasnt going to post anything, because, as someone else said - this is not a homework help forum... but test taking stuff is helpfull, and this is one you should def. learn

i assume you have not gotten to mcat yet, since you are studying this early bio stuff, but when you do, answering questions quickly where you may only know part of the answer becomes the name of the game! (might as well get used to doing it now)

Is there a homework help forum? If any moderators are reading, I think there should be because it'll just help all of us to keep reviewing the material we've already had and at the same time, help out a fellow SDN'er.

It's like on the MCAT forum where they have the Q&A threads, but those are for people studying for the MCAT, not for basic questions from intro level courses. I think there should be one for those of us not yet ready to take the MCAT, if there isn't already.