Help! Raising Undergrad GPA After Graduation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmhan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a late comer to the veterinary career path. Although I'm a recently graduated college undergraduate, I didn't become serious about pursuing vet med until I was basically walking down to receive my diploma. I received my BS in Biology, but since I didn't take college seriously, I am not a very good candidate for veterinary school right now.

My GPA is below a 3.0 and I lack significant vet experience, but I am currently volunteering at a small animal clinic. I know having diverse experience is encouraged, however I am not sure about being able to find any work with large animals where I live.

I obviously need to boost my GPA to even be considered by any vet schools. I was hoping to find any suggestions on how to go about doing so. I did some research, but there seem to be so many different routes: retaking undergrad courses, doing a post-bacc, getting a masters, receiving a second bachelor's, etc...

I know that I probably won't be competitive enough to get into any IS vet schools without years and years more of schooling (which I don't have!), so I have my eyes set on OSS like Ross or SGU. Are there any people out there who have been in my position? How did you go about preparing for vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=498186

Unfortunately, I don't know that there is a ton of stuff you can do about the GPA stuff... I would maybe say retaking any C or D classes (pre-reqs), but that always seems to be situational according to others on here and there is never a good consensus on that. Other than that, as far as LA experience, have you tried to look into externships or internships with large animal companies? The thing about those is that usually you travel to places where they are and the vet or someone there working with you will help you find lodging, etc. and you stay there for a time and get experience. I would also suggest working, rather than volunteering at a clinic, since you will probably be able to do more that way.

I'm just curious, but when did you decide to go into vet med? Also have you gotten all of your pre-reqs (ie: are there any pre-reqs you can take towards your poor GPA)? If you decide to do a Master's, make sure you are prepared to finish it... a lot of students do it as a time-passer and that's pretty frowned upon. Lastly, as far as OOS goes, Ross and SGU would be good choices, but OOS spots at schools here in the US require higher GPAs than IS students, so I wasn't sure if you meant just Ross/SGU or if you meant OOS in general.