HELP!!! Reapplicant questions

Started by peetey
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

peetey

a sense sublime
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied this year for medical school........got two interviews............and didn't get accepted to any school............I have a 3.3 gpa, and a 29 mcat. Do you think doing a masters in public health, and doing well, will improve my chances of getting in? I have loooooooads of clinical experience and am working as a clinical lab scientist right now in a hospital.........but I need to take a path which will get me there.....can somebody help????
 
peetey said:
I applied this year for medical school........got two interviews............and didn't get accepted to any school............I have a 3.3 gpa, and a 29 mcat. Do you think doing a masters in public health, and doing well, will improve my chances of getting in? I have loooooooads of clinical experience and am working as a clinical lab scientist right now in a hospital.........but I need to take a path which will get me there.....can somebody help????

how long is the typical mph? 1.5 years?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A 29 isn't bad. I would hold off retaking the MCAT. Contact the schools you interviewed at and ask them why you were not accepted. If it was your MCAT, then think about retaking it. Reapply to a wide variety of schools and maybe try to raise your GPA with a post-bacc.
 
I was in the same situation two years ago and had similar stats to you AND am also a California applicant! You should be able to get into med school with that MCAT score. Perhaps a Post-Bacc program can help you boost your GPA, but if you're really into Public Health, then you can take the MPH route to raise your GPA. I did the UCSF Post-Bacc program last year and applied this year which more success. I also applied MUCH earlier this year. Did you apply late this year? Sometimes, that can screw you up!