Help Required !! Concerning accommodation !

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Jabiyasser, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Jabiyasser

Jabiyasser Junior Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys ! well ... seems like i'm in deeeeep deeeeeeeeeeep trouble .. ok , its like this: I got my RCSI offer letter on the 4th of July .. and since then, i'm trying to find a descent accomodation. Aungier & mercer court/millins house are fully booked ... griffith arent answering my emails/phone calls ... and well, it seems like i'm in deeeeeeep trouble ! soo .. can any 1 suggest any solutions which can help ?! HELP REQUIRED !

2. LavenderLoraine

LavenderLoraine Admiring the flowers
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I suggest you check out daft.ie

You can do searches for various accomodation types such as houses, apartments, bedsits, flats, etc. to lease by yourself or become a flatmate to someone who is posting. This is what I used last year to find a place.

Another site I've heard people use is let.ie

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    Jabiyasser

Jabiyasser Junior Member

Medical Student

hey ! thanks alot for your lovely suggestion "lavenderloraine" :) . well, I've got a couple more questions ... 1. Do u think it would be safe to rent an apartment by myself :confused: 2. where can I find further information about renting procedures (E.G. paperwork, Registration .. etc)? 3.Do you have any idea about how much electricity bills/telephone bills ... etc might add up to, on a monthly basis ?

4. LavenderLoraine

LavenderLoraine Admiring the flowers
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey Jabi!

I will take a crack at some of your questions here:

1. Renting an apartment by yourself is relatively safe depending on the area but honestly not many people in my class do that. I know of one person who does (female) in a nice area and she loves it. However, it is quite expensive to lease on your own! It's still expensive in Dublin even with a roommate but that also depends on where you live.

2. As far as renting procedures are concerned, I don't know of any website or resources out there. From my experience, they are similar in nature to renting in other places such as the US. For example, the apartment I am in now was posted on daft. My roommate and I contacted the management company taking care of it, who arranged for us to come see the place. We decided we liked it and had to put down a deposit, plus pay the first month's rent. In addition, we had to set up a direct deposit into the owner's account for each month of rent. They don't do rent checks here it seems. Everything is electronic, which is less of a pain actually. You will find that is the case with other bills such as cable/internet, gas, and electric. My advice: if you find a place you REALLY like, offer to sign a 2 year lease if they will drop the rent further.

3. Another thing I find different in Ireland is that they bill you every 2 months for some services. We have NTL cable/internet (I don't have the bills before me since I am not in Ireland at the moment), gas is about 48 Euro, and electric I don't remember. We didn't get a landline and instead just use our cell phones. NTL offers alot of promotions in the fall to attract students and you can get things like 6 months of digital cable for free, no connection fees, etc.

4. Also, I forgot to mention yesterday that RCSI has a housing board on their website. Have a look at
    http://www.rcsi.ie/medical_school/accommodation/ubb/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...